Saturday, June 11, 2011

What Do You Believe?

I was driving home tonight, listening to the Petra album "This Means War!". In particular, I was listening to the song, "Get On Your Knees And Fight Like A Man". One of the lines in the song is, "You'll pull down strongholds if you just believe you can." As I was singing along, I began to wonder what do I believe?

Believing is an important part of the Christian life. We are admonished over and over to believe first, then we will receive and see answers to our prayers. In Matthew 21:22 states, "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." That is pretty plain isn't it? The qualifying part of that Scripture is the three words, "If you believe." So we must believe.

Believing for some people is much harder than for others. They are what I call the I'll believe it when I see it group. Unfortunately for them, they very rarely see answers to their prayers, and it is all because they have the cart before the horse so to speak. We will never see anything from God until we first believe that we do.

Everything that we get from the Kingdom of God comes according to the principle found in Romans 10:9 - 10. Believe in your heart, confess with your mouth and you will have what you desire. But how do you believe in something that you cannot see? Take electricity for instance, you can't see it yet you believe that when you flip a switch on your wall that lights will turn on. If you didn't believe that it would happen, you wouldn't flip the switch.

The way that I learn to believe something is by going to God's Word and seeing what He has to say about it. For instance, if I need to believe that I receive healing in my body, I first need to go to the Bible and see if it is actually God's will for me to be healed. Once I see that that is true, then I am able to believe that, I have received faith to believe.

The Bible says that faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. If I want to believe something then I'm going to have to have faith for it, and to be able to get the faith I need, I'm going to have to go to God's Word and find it. We have the ability to believe whatever we want to believe, that is one of the attributes that God gave us when He created mankind. It would be unfair of Jesus to tell us that whatever we believe we will receive when we pray if in fact we are unable to believe. That is not the way that God works.

If you are having trouble believing, then get into God's Word and read what He has to say about stuff. It won't be long before you are believing for all kinds of things. Well, there's that. Strength and honor.

No comments: