Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One Final Message

This morning we will lay to rest one of the most influential men that I have ever known. A man who loves Jesus, and it showed. A man who walked and followed the Lord and encouraged others to do the same saying, "Follow me, as I follow Jesus." I am saddened by the loss of my friend and Pastor, but will continue the work that he started, because that is the right thing to do.

As I was reading my Bible this morning, I came across this passage of Scripture found in Colossians 2:1-7 and it was as if Pastor David was speaking to me. If you would allow me, I've taken a little bit of liberty with these verses, having re-written them just a tad, and would like to share it with you. Read this as if it is Pastor David speaking to you:

"I want you to know how hard I contended for Word of Life and for those around the world, and even for all who never met me personally. My goal was that they would be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they would have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they could know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."

"I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is. So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

I know that in the days, weeks and months ahead the family at Word of Life will be undergoing change unlike any that we have ever seen. And while all change is difficult, if we as the body of Christ will stay together, and heed the words found in Colossians 2, we will come out on the other side in a place that Word of Life has never been before.

This is a most trying time for Word of Life, but as Jesus said, "When you are weak, then I am strong." Let's not worry about weakness, let's let Jesus do as Pastor said so many times, show Himself strong. We must take to heart what we have learned for all these years now and put those things into practice. Be on your guard family, the enemy is like a roaring lion who is seeking to destroy Word of Life and the work Pastor started. Don't let it happen, stay vigilant because he would like nothing more than to destroy the work of God that has been done at Word of Life. Don't let him get a foothold.

Jesus has great things ahead for Word of Life, both here and overseas, and for those who will continue the vision that God gave Pastor David so many years ago. Just because Pastor David is no longer with us, does not mean that the vision that he laid out for us is any less effective now. No, the ministry will continue, God will be glorified and the devil will not win. Goodbye Pastor David, I love you and will miss you dearly, but I will not let you down.

1 comment:

Cilla said...

Amen. Well said. Thanks