Monday, November 1, 2010

How Highway Driving Changed My Life

Driving my bride and daughter to school this morning, I was struck with an interesting thought, at least interesting to me. As I merged our Dodge Caravan onto Interstate 44, the early morning commuter traffic seemed heavier than normal.

Accelerating my little four cylindar school bus towards the 75 mph speed limit as quickly as possible, I realized that I had become a part of a pack of vehicles in the passing lane trying to pass several semi trailers. Wolves usually run in packs, they do so because there is safety in numbers. It is unusual to find a wolf running alone, or "lone wolf" as it is called. Also, normally being described as a lone wolf is more of a deragatory term, rather than a good one.

However driving down the busy thoroughfare with semis on my right and six cars in front of me and three more behind. It was at this time that I decided while driving on a busy highway, I would prefer to be alone without anyone around me. This also revealed something in my heart; that I do have the tendancy to want to be on my own, rather than running in a group.

Even though I can easily justify my desire on the highway; seeing the safety factor of not being dependant on the abilities of those around me, and the possibilities of them making a mistake which could cause harm to my family and damage to my property. In view of my own personal life however, this lone wolf attitude is not something that is good for me. When trying to apply the same reasoning to my personal life, it comes across as selfish and short sighted.

What this surfaces in my heart is the need to delegate more; to try not to do everything, but allow those who are running with me the opportunity to use their gifts and talents. Thank You Jesus for revealing things in my heart to help me to grow, and to help those around me have the opportunity to grow as well.
Who could have known that me driving my van on a crowded highway could have brought change to my life? It's the little things in life isn't it?

No comments: