Monday, November 22, 2010

Regret VS. Godly Sorrow

2 Corinthians 7:10 (The Message) says; "Distress that drives us to God does that. It turns us around. It gets us back in the way of salvation. We never regret that kind of pain. But those who let distress drive them away from God are full of regrets, end up on a deathbed of regrets."

I was driving to church yesterday munching on a sausage roll that I got for free because I had taken in my movie ticket stub to the donut shop, in an offer that I had seen the week earlier while watching the previews before a movie my bride, some friends and I went to see. As I ate that sausage roll, my mind went back to the times when my kids were younger and I had stopped at the donut shop on the way to church.

There was always an excitement in their eyes as they grabbed their bottle of chocolate milk and surveyed all the choices of sugary wonderfulness, trying to pick that one perfect donut. All of a sudden I was filled with regret. Regret that I would never be able to take my youngest son Noah to the donut shop again. Regret that maybe I hadn't spent enough time with him in these little things like a trip to the donut shop. I must say, even now as I type this, there is some regret welling up inside of me.

As I thought about those regrets, the Holy Spirit prompted my spirit to think about the difference between regret and Godly sorrow. It was as if the Father was telling me that there is a difference and that I needed Godly sorrow, not regrets. The word regret means: a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment, etc. "Remorse for a fault." The regret that I was feeling brought condemnation to my heart, not Godly sorrow for the loss of my son, but guilt like I hadn't done enough, or loved him enough.

It was then that I saw it, this regret wasn't doing anything for me but bringing me down, making me feel guilty...and I know where those thoughts come from. I am sorry for the loss of my son, and I do wish I could have him here with me, but feeling regret for the past is not heart healthy for me, or anyone else for that matter. I have to have that Godly sorrow that leads me back to God. For it is when I run to God in my distress that I find the grace I need to continue walking forward, one step at a time.

With the holiday season upon us, and everyone gearing up with the thoughts of spending time with family, it is not by chance that the Lord wanted me to understand the difference between regret and Godly sorrow. He is reminding me that when the regrets come, I need to run to Him with those, and find the peace that He has for me in the midst of any emotional storms.

I will miss Noah's laugh, and presence during this holiday season, but I know this...God is for me, and He has my family's best interests at heart. And even more as the holiday season comes and goes, I'll be thankful that my Heavenly Father is here leading, guiding and directing my family's steps each and every day. And we will let any distress or regret drive us back into the arms of our loving Father God, of that you can rest assured.