Saturday, November 13, 2010

Where Do I Begin?

Life tends to be unpredictable doesn't it? But does it have to be, I mean really? The Bible tells me that God will order my steps and direct my paths. (Proverbs 3:6) The key is to acknowledge Him in all my ways and to trust in Him.

Now I had this interesting thought the other day; Jesus was never surprised by anything that happened to or around Him, ever. I don't know about you, but that is not the case with me. I am frequently surprised by things that happen both to me and around me. And before you say, "Well Jesus is God, that's why." Remember, that when He was here on the Earth He did everything as "the son of man", not the son of God.

So that leads me to a very simple conclusion; that Jesus never was surprised by anything because He had already been told what was coming. Remember how Jesus would go away from everyone and pray to the Father? I believe that in those times of prayer, Jesus and the Father were talking about His day, and the Father was giving Jesus the heads up about what was going to happen. Remember, Jesus always said, "I say what the Father says, and I do what the Father does."

Now to be honest with you, I probably mostly pray for what my family or I need more than just listening prayers, spending time waiting on the Father. And why is that? I mean if I know that the source of everything good comes from the Father (and it does), and I would stand to benefit from listening to Him tell me what to do for the day (which I would), then why don't I do that? And why is that so opposed in my life?

I mean I know I should pray and fellowship with the Father but instead I just read my Bible, write some blogs to encourage myself and other people, then check that off my list moving out into my day like a sailing ship gliding through a narrow channel with a blindfolded pilot. Even as I write this, I think what is wrong with me? Am I just a doof who doesn't get it?

One of the reasons that I think this is so opposed in my life, and why I have a real hard time just doing it, is because of the performance based society that I live in. Now don't think I'm just making excuses, because I'm not. But I do think subconciously though, that sitting in my living room for a long period of time just talking to the Father, (whom I cannot see) and then listening in my spirit for Him to talk back to me seems like a waste of time, time that I could be using for something else, something more productive.

I'm reminded of that passage of Scripture in John where Jesus tells us that we will do the same works that He did, and even great ones. (John 14:12) My question to myself is this then, if I want to do the works of Jesus, and even greater ones, how can I do that without spending time with the Father? I can't. So where do I begin? By spending time with the Father each and every day, asking Him to show me things to come (John 16:13) and being ready to follow His lead.

I mean I want clarity in my life, but won't go to the source of all life to get it? Wow, I really do sound like a doof...well that changes today. Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: