Friday, November 19, 2010

Your Tongue

In James 3:5 - 10 the Bible talks about our tongue and how unruly it can be. I heard a good friend say today, that your tongue is hooked to your heart. It's just telling everybody what's in your heart. If you don't believe that, the next time you are having a conversation with someone, just shut up and let them do all the talking. You will be amazed at what all will come pouring out of their mouth.

My friend was talking about the tongue in the context of being married, and when you talk to your spouse, you are sharing what is in your heart whether you realize it or not. I also heard this friend say that a marriage license does not give you the right to say whatever stupid stuff hits your brain. Remember your spouse is your brother/sister in the Lord still, and you wouldn't just say whatever hit your brain to someone at church. (At least I hope you wouldn't do that. If you are doing that, then we have another problem to work on.)

We have to change what is in our hearts, not just what we are saying. Actually, if you don't change what is in your heart, then you will be unable to change what you say. If we will get God's thoughts deep down in our hearts, then we will say what God says. That is why it is oh so important that we read God's Word daily. God told Joshua to meditate day and night in His Word, and it would do us well to do so likewise.

I have been reading through the Bible in a year with my Pastor for the past couple of years. Okay, okay I have tried to do this for many years, and just accomplished it for the first time last year, and am on track to finish it again this year. (Yay me!) If you need a good Bible reading plan, may I suggest the one that our church uses. You can download the pdf version of it here. Then just print it every time you need one.
Ephesians 4:29 tells us how we should use our tongues, and I for one will say that it can be difficult at times. I know I'm not the only one who has ever struggled with saying what was on my mind, instead of keeping my mouth shut. Some people call that being honest, and while it probably is honest, most of the time it is just them not controlling their tongues.
Jesus said that we were salt, and we were light. (Matthew 5:13 - 14) Salt helps to preserve and make things more palatable, while light gives the ability to see where one needs to go. Let's not bring shame to the Kingdom of God, just because we can't control our tongues. Let's go out there and be salt and light to a dying world. Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!




No comments: