Thursday, November 18, 2010

What Does Your Gauge Reveal?

I have been driving my truck to and from work for the last seven days with the fuel gauge idiot light shining.
At first I thought it came on just because I was driving down my steep driveway and the fuel had shifted. But the other night as I started my truck to make the drive home, I noticed that it came on just as soon as I turned the ignition.

Now I know what you might be saying, what is wrong with this guy, just stop and buy some gas already. And I have fully intended to do that every night as I drive past the gas station on the way to my home. But every night for some odd reason I just drive on by thinking that I will get gas the next day.

This morning as I watched the fuel gauge dip below the "E" marking for Empty I wondered if perhaps there was something a little deeper here. I live like five minutes from work, so I reason that I can drive for many, many days without fueling up. Is this how I'm treating my spiritual life as well? Do I just watch my interior life's gauge drop lower and lower towards the empty mark thinking that I am so close to my Bible that I can fill up at any time?

That fuel gauge in my truck may be not only an indicator of how much fuel is in the tank, but also how much attention I am paying to my spiritual life as well. When was the last time I spent a while in the presence of God, just enjoying time with Him? I mean, I read my Bible every day, but that now looks to me like I'm thinking, this will get me to where I need to go. Not much further than that, but at least to where I think I need to go.

If I was called upon to drive to Tulsa, I wouldn't be able to make it there because of the lack of gas in my tank. I wonder, if the way I've been with my spiritual life, if God called upon me to do something for Him, would I be able to make it? This kind of reminds me of the story Jesus told about the virgins and their lamps. (Matthew 25:1 - 13) Some of them had enough oil and got to go to the party, the others thought they would have enough, but when they left to buy more, they missed the party.

I don't want to miss the party, so I'm going to fill up my tank. Both physically and spiritually, starting with repentance. Father, please forgive me for my sin of ignoring You and not keeping my spiritual tank filled up. Please help me to spend that time with You, that I haven't been. In Jesus name.

1 comment:

Lana Vaughan said...

An old relative used to say "The truck runs just as good on the first quarter tank of gas as it does on the last quarter tank. You just don't keep looking at the gauge and wondering if you'll make it."

Time to fill 'er up!