Monday, November 22, 2010

I Hate That Guy!

I stopped in at a QuikTrip (a convenience store in Oklahoma) to gas up my son's car this morning, and as I went to pay for my breakfast sandwich I noticed an attractive woman in front of me. I was a little embarrassed when the clerk from the second register said, "I can help you over here sir." Yes, I was looking at this lady and not paying attention to what was going on around me.

Now let me go on record right here that I was not lusting after her, or having any unhealthy thoughts about her. She is after all a speaking spirit as Jesse DuPlantis says, and my sister in the Lord if she is born again. To say that this lady was unattractive would have been to lie, and the Bible says that we ought not lie.

When the clerk spoke to me, it made me feel just a little like the kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I was embarrassed, and thought to myself, "I hate that when that happens. I am a Christ follower, and should be better than that. I hate that guy!" Whenever the poser in me shows up, and by poser I mean the guy that tries to be something that he's not, the phrase I like to use is "I hate that guy!" It's a way for me to get back centered on who I am in Christ.

But as I got back into my son's car and started to pull out of the parking lot, the Holy Spirit said, "David, you didn't do anything wrong." As I pondered that thought, it occurred to me that seeing an attractive woman and admiring her beauty is not a sin. Now of course if you cannot stop after the first look, then at that point you do enter into sin, and that should not be.

We find in the Bible the account of the creation of Eve (Genesis 2:20-23). I have heard it said that Adam was made from the dirt of the Earth, but that Eve was hand fashioned and crafted by God like a master artist creating a masterpiece. This work of art was so amazing, that Adam said, "Vavavavooom!" when he first saw her. I know that's not King James, but it must of been what he said don't you think?

Now what I see here, and have been taught over the last few years, is that seeing a beautiful woman, and taking notice of her is not a bad thing. It's like admiring the Mona Lisa, something that is beautiful, breathtaking and to be admired. Seeing that and giving praise to God for His handiwork is not a bad thing at all. Where we men fall into trouble is when we take that second look, and it's in that second look where sin begins to form in us.

So admire a beautiful woman, give thanks to God that He made women and then pray His blessings on her. I tell you the truth, it's hard to think wrong thoughts about a woman if you are praying for her to be blessed by God. Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

1 comment:

Lana Vaughan said...

On behalf of women everywhere "Thank you" for this reminder that we were crafted by the very hand of God to fill the first need of man's heart, companionship. Our purpose was relationship and beauty was the way both God and man saw us. May somethings never change.