Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's The Most Blankity Blank Time Of The Year

The holiday season is upon us, and I'm not sure what this year's Thanksgiving and Christmas will bring. There is always something in me that is like Clark Griswold in the movie Christmas Vacation.

I have always sought out that elusive "perfect Christmas" wanting to have the family around, the perfect meal and everyone rejoicing in how thankful they are for being a part of my family.

Yet every year so far, has never quite made it to that point. There are sqabbles about ridiculous things, more television watching that should happen, and the eventual drive home thinking; maybe next year.

I know that going into this year's holidays I've already got one strike against me because it will be the first time to celebrate without my youngest son Noah being with us. And if I thought there was pressure before, well then I've got to be on guard this year against the thief who will try and pressure me even more.
The holidays are supposed to be about family. At least that's what all the Norman Rockwell paintings show us. But how are we suppose to make our lives seem to be as he painted? I don't think we truly can. It's like trying to keep up with the Joneses, the more you try to be like them, the less you truly do that.

What I'm going to go for this year, is love my family just the way they are. I'm not going to try and work up what I think our holidays should be, but just enjoy them for what they are. I'm going to work harder than I ever have to love each and every person in my family that I am fortunate enough to get to see, and let the holidays take care of themselves. How about you?

No comments: