Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Writing Is Therapeutic For Me

Writing is something that I have always enjoyed. Truth be told, I can remember way back to the second grade when my teacher, Mrs. Smart, had the class write about something we'd like to be. I told the story of how if I could be anything, I'd be a G.I. Joe. Now not the real life army Joe, but the old twelve inch action figures you know the ones with the "kung fu grip". I wrote of how much fun the little boy that owned me would have, as he drug me through the mud, positioned me to fight off the evil hordes that would destroy the U.S.A. (Something that nowadays would be looked down upon, John Wayne where are you when we need you?) I'm sure that my mother still has that paper somewhere in a box up in her attic. It would be a kick to actually see it once more.

I remember several years later working at a steel mill in Muskogee, where I did a variety of jobs. Anything from hauling out the trash, to running the machines that put the threads on the ends of huge pieces of oil field pipe. It was while running one of the lathes there that I had the idea to tell the story of what happens to a piece of pipe from the moment it enters the plant until it was to leave and go into the ground. I wrote this story from the pipe's perspective, and they published it in the company's newsletter.

Writing for me has always been therapeutic. I started a few years ago (2007) to write in a leather bound journal. I don't get the opportunity to write every day, and usually I just write about what is going on in my life with me and my family. But, usually once I've finished writing there I am at peace, or I have a little bit more clarity for my life or the situations at hand. This has become a habit for me, one that took time and effort, but also one that is well worth it.

I've always found it a joy to use writing to create stories that entertain, but at the same time have a deeper meaning. After all, I believe that God is who gave us the ability to use words, and by using words we can either create or destroy the world around us. I want to use my words to build up, not to tear down, and so I write...mainly to encourage myself, but also to encourage others and hopefully bring a little light to their lives at the same time.

Shalom, and have a great day!

1 comment:

Karen Nilson said...

some people "think" about things; I "write" about things. I agree, very therapeutic!