Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things That Shouldn't Be Green

Yesterday was October 25th. A date that will live on in infamy for me. You see yesterday, while I was home I decided that my yard needed to be mowed one last time. Did I mention that it was October, and my yard is still green? That is something that just shouldn't be...I mean usually my yard is brown by August and we hardly ever mow past then.

While I mow, I love to listen to either music or teaching series on my Oakley Thumps mp3 sunglasses, which can be purchased at Felts Shoes in Sapulpa (shameless plug I know). Yesterday, I was listening to Joe McGee's teaching on Man: Lover, Leader, Provider and thinking about my bride. I wanted to do something "for" her, you know that would show my love for her. Then it dawned on my, having the yard in tip top shape is something that she enjoys, and having it finished would put her mind at ease for the coming winter.

I also remembered her saying something about picking up all the sticks that were covering our circle drive. So I decided to not only mow the yard, but to clean the circle drive with the leaf blower. (something that took more time than I originally thought) I also needed to weedeat the yard in some places, which turned out to be most places.

After almost five hours, and with an exhausted and beat up body, I sat down in my porch chair and surveyd all that I had accomplished. The yard looked good, and I knew that my bride would be happy. I fell asleep last night with a contentment knowing two things; one, I had done a good job yesterday seeing to it that the yard was now taken care of for the season. And two, I had done something for my bride that would relieve some of the stress off of her life, showing my love for her. Needless to say, I slept well.

I'm reminded of something that I heard Joe say yesterday, "In order to love your spouse, you must lay down your life for them. You must serve them." Truthfully, mowing and taking care of the yard is not what I wanted to do on my day off, but in order to serve my bride, I was happy to do it. Afterall, the Bible says that my example of how to love my bride is Jesus and we all know how He laid down His life for us, so taking care of the yard yesterday was a pleasure.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: