Sunday, October 24, 2010

We Weren't Meant To Do This Alone

I am a very fortunate and blessed man to have men in my life that are true brothers. I am not very mechanicaly inclined, let's face it, if I have to do much more than put gas or oil in a car I'm lost. I wasn't raised in a family that worked on their vehicles, actually we had several motors and transmissions put into our cars due to forgetting to get the oil changed, or adding transmission fluid.

I have been mentoring a young man through the Thunderbird Academy program. Today was one of the mentor visits, and we left Pryor, OK headed to Claremore and enjoy our four hours together. As we reached the 3/4 mark towards our destination, the temp light came on in my van. I looked at the guage and it read "H"...which apparently means hot.

We pulled the van over onto the shoulder, turned off the engine and opened the hood. Now one thing I know I can do is be a poser when it comes to vehicles. I don't know anything about cars, and if I'm not careful when talking to men that do, I'll swagger around and act like I know what they are talking about. So, we add some water and then off we went.

Long story short, we ended up at a part's store with a broke down van. I called my bride to make arrangements to get my young ward back to the program on time and then I called my friend Austin. "What are you doing this afternoon buddy?" I asked. He informed me he was doing nothing, and then I asked if he knew anything about cars. He chuckled, and then I asked him if he could bring some tools and drive forty-five miles to help me fix my van. Not only did he come, but he brought his long time friend, and my new friend Landon with him.

About an hour later they arrived, we got parts and they went to work. I like these guys because they didn't treat me like a little kid because I didn't know what to do. Brothers are great, even if they aren't flesh and blood. God never intended us to go through this life alone, and I am so thankful for good friends that are there for me when I need them. I just hope that I will be able to return the favor one day. I can learn a lesson from these men, and I will that much is for sure.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: