Friday, October 29, 2010

Sleeping The Sleep Of The Dead

It's October 29th, just a few days before Halloween. Last night, I was afforded an opportunity that I don't have very often; I was able to spend the evening home alone. After doing a little grocery shopping, I sat down to enjoy my dinner along with the movie TRON. The sequel is due to come out soon, and I wanted to refresh my memory about what had happened in the original story.

My only real problem was that I was asleep in my recliner by 8:30 pm and missed about half of the movie. Now I chalked it off to having worked so hard that my body just needed a little rest. So I watched the rest of the movie and waited on my son to get home from work.

After talking with Micah for a few minutes, I retired to my bed at about 10:30 pm and headed off for a night of rest, thinking that 6:00 am would get here quickly. It didn't take me long to fall asleep and enter that state of rest that is so important for the body. I missed a phone call and text from my bride, that came at 11:00 pm and 12:00 am.

I awoke to my alarm ringing, turned it off and went right back to sleep. Somewhere around 8:30 am my cell phone rang, and I fumbled around trying to answer it. It was my beautiful bride calling to see if I was awake yet. She seemed a little surprised that I was still asleep, and told me that she had called the night before.

I guess that I needed my beauty rest last night. I slept harder than I have in a long time, so I guess I really needed it. But you know it is October and with Halloween just around the corner, maybe I was just wearing a costume last night as I slept, the costume of the sleep of the dead. Who knows....

No comments: