Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Study in Grace Versus the Law

Last night my son Micah and I were in the living room flipping channels on the television when we came across the movie Les Miserables. Until seeing a couple of scenes from this movie at one of John Eldredge's boot camps in 2008, I had never seen the movie or the musical. I have
since seen the movie dozens of times, and still await the return of the musical to our local theater. I will be taking my family to see it when it finally returns to Tulsa or Oklahoma City.

I think one of the things that I so love about this story is the differences between two of the main characters, Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert. One is a study in grace, and how that it can remake a man into something more than he ever thought. The other is a study about the absolute rule of law, and how that leads a man to his demise. There is something of both men in each and every one of us I believe, and much we can learn from both men.

In the story you can see such a difference in the men's approach to life. Even while hiding in Paris, Valjean continues to do good works to those less fortunate in the community. Javert on the other hand is the personification of a man whose entire identity comes from what he does. He is so blinded by his need for order that he cannot see past his duty, and show mercy in any form.

I am amazed every time I watch this movie, at how different these two men are, yet at some level they are very similar. I often wonder what they could have accomplished had they been able to get past their differences and work together. And as with all movies, I am able to see a little bit of me in both of these characters. I can be rigid and strict when it comes to things that I refuse to bend on. And I can show mercy to those less fortunate than myself.

It's interesting, it is like these are two sides of a coin, grace and mercy on one side, and the rule of law on the other. I flip this imaginary coin in every situation I encounter, some times being merciful and others not. This is not to say that I am a callous or heartless person, it is just the two sides of my personality that I endure on a daily basis. What I am trying to learn, is to not flip the coin, and just let the merciful part of me shine forth. It is a battle let me tell you. For whom much is forgiven, much is required as the saying goes.

I'm reminded of that story Jesus told in Scripture about the man who was called into his boss's office and told he would have to settle his accounts. He begged his employer for mercy, saying that he would pay all if he was given more time. The boss forgave his considerable debt, and all was forgiven. Later that day, the man who was forgiven the great debt, came upon a man who owed him a little bit of money, and he demanded that he be repaid. This man did likewise, and begged for mercy, yet instead of showing mercy, he had the man put into debtor's prison. When the boss heard what had happened, he confronted the man and in the end put him into debtor's prison along with his entire family, until the entire debt was paid. (Matthew 18:23 - 35)

I don't want to be like that man, so focused on what is going on in my own world that I cannot be any good to those around me. I want to be like Javert when it comes to confronting the devil and his workers of iniquity, but like Valjean, full of mercy and compassion on those less fortunate than myself. It's a great story, with a great many things to learn from. So get 'em up folks, let's go out and whip something for the Kingdom today!

No comments: