Friday, May 27, 2011

I Love The Smell Of Hash Browns In The Morning

I have been awake now for one hour, and this morning when I got out of bed I was famished. This happens sometimes when I eat right before going to bed the night before. So in an unusual manner and different than my usual morning routine, I turned on the oven and put in some frozen hash browns to eat.

A short while later, I went to pour myself another cup of coffee and walked past the oven to check the timer and see how much longer I would have to wait until those golden brown potatoes would be ready and saw that I had ten more minutes to wait. "What?!?" I thought. "How can that be, it feels like it's been an hour already!"

Have you ever noticed that when you're hungry and cooking some food that time just sort of stands still? I know the law of physics state that only fifteen minutes has indeed passed, but in my mind it seems like it has been longer. And none of this is helping that gnawing, rumbling sensation that is going on in my stomach.

How often does that happen to you spiritually? Just as our flesh cries out for sustenance, so does our spirit man. Only I don't have the sensation in my spirit that tells me to eat something like I do in my flesh. I mean if my spirit man cried out as loudly as my flesh did, I'd probably do more to feed him don't you think? How about you? Does your spirit man cry out for you to feed him or her?

Most people will feed their flesh three square meals a day, not to mention snacks, but when it comes to their spirit, they will only feed it a couple of cold snacks a week. And why is that do you suppose? What makes us spend more time on our flesh than on our spirit, even when we know that it is out of our spirits where the issues of life flow?

It can't be a lack of teaching, for most that is, because this generation is probably the most well taught generation of Christians there has ever been. Is it because as the news purports, that we as a people are just selfish? No, I don't believe that is it because we see people helping out when there are major disasters around the country. What I think the cause of this is, is the lack of discipleship.

Are you truly a disciple of the Lord Jesus? Do you spend time, on your own studying the Scriptures and spending time with the Lord daily? Or do you just go to church, expecting that the staff there will teach you all that you need to know in order to become a spiritual giant? That just won't happen. Going to church, while a good thing to do and we should, is not where we are truly discipled.

Remember what Paul said to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who needs not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth." That Scripture tells me that there is something that I need to be doing in my own spiritual life. What is God speaking to your heart? What areas of your life is He wanting to help you make changes? Are you even hearing His voice? These are things that we learn by actually having a relationship with the Father God, and that is what makes us disciples.

So how about some spiritual hash browns? Let's feed our spirits daily, just like we feed our flesh. Take the next thirty days and make a new habit for yourself, one of reading God's Word and listening for Him to show you things to come, and studying the Word for yourself. In doing so, I believe that your spirit man will begin to hunger after the things of God more and more. So get 'em up folks, and let's go whip something for the Kingdom today!

No comments: