Friday, May 13, 2011

A Psychological Case Study In Shoes

I sell the Nike Shox in my shoe store. And because of the popularity of them, we have to take the left shoes out of the boxes and put them on a shelf which is about 7 - 8 feet off the ground. What I find interesting is that without fail, when someone enters my store, and they see the Shox on that high shelf, they will always try to reach up and grab those left shoes to see what they are. When that happens, I always lead the customers to where we have all the Shox displayed and they are a little easier to reach, but without fail the customer will always end up back at the high shelf trying to see which shoes are there.

It has finally just become funny to me, I don't know why exactly they feel the need to see and touch those left shoes. It's almost as if they think I am hiding the best stuff from them. And that is what I really think is funny. This is a retail shoe store after all, we make our money by selling the shoes to people. How good of a merchant would I be if I hid the merchandise from my customer's view? I'd have to be a pretty bad one actually.

There must be some psychological thing to this. You know, kind of like when our parents told us that we didn't need to know something as a child, we would continue to pester them until they either told us, or we ended up getting into trouble for it. Why is that do you wonder? I'm sure that if I had taken a psychology class in college we probably would have discussed it and I'd know the answer. As for now, I'll just keep steering people towards the easier to reach display shoes and chuckling to myself when they go back to those on the higher shelf.

Life is interesting, and you never know what you're gonna get...I like that I think!

No comments: