Thursday, May 7, 2015

Move Along...Move Along

I have been a fan of Star Wars since I first saw it in May 1977, it captured my attention unlike anything ever had before.  I was 13 when I first saw it, and now at almost 52 it is still one of the things which consumes my thoughts almost on a daily basis. One of the truly advantageous aspects of this, is I am incredibly easy to buy gifts for. Buy me something Star Wars, and I'm a happy camper.

What is it about this movie which has captured my heart you might ask? Everything! George Lucas said he wanted to bring back movies which used myth and legend. There are knights in it, and who wouldn't give their right hand for an actual lightsaber? It is full of incredibly cool villains and the heroes are truly amazing, if not just a little bit complex. Who didn't catch their breath just a little bit when Darth Vader first appeared on the screen with the imposing size, cape, mechanical breathing and total disregard for the sanctity of life?

And the ships? Man they were different than anything I'd ever seen before. They actually
looked like they had been used. They didn't have the brand new, off the showroom floor look every other ship I'd seen did. These looked as if they'd seen a little action, in fact just about everything did. My favorite was and still is the Millennium Falcon; the first time Han Solo said it was the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy I thought it was so cool, but when I actually saw it in action, man what a ship! I have a model of it I built years ago hanging in my office.

One of the greatest experiences of my life was introducing this totally awesome movie franchise with my children. We watched them on the television until George released his special edition episodes, and I was never more proud than to take my kids to the movie theater so they could experience it in all it's movie screen glory. Then when the prequels were released we all went to the midnight showings of them, it was awesome!

I want to go on record here to say I liked the Special Edition episodes. I was able to see the scene where Han Solo faces Jabba the Hutt which never made the original cut, and all the special effects were so much better. The only issue I have with them is Han Solo shot Greedo first. This was the only mistake I think George Lucas made, but I can live with it.

Then he went on to make the prequel episodes and I thought it couldn't get any better than this; even with Jar Jar Binks, who I personally like. He was such a fun character and it was always a hoot when my oldest son Micah would put on his Jar Jar mask and walk around the house. I still laugh about it to this day. But this past Thanksgiving (2014) I thought I would cry when I saw the teaser trailer for the upcoming Episode 7. I must have watched the trailer a dozen or so times. My family actually started getting upset with me for watching it so much.

All I know, is almost my entire life will have Star Wars in it, and this is a great thing. Well, there's that...my life is great! For the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: