Friday, May 15, 2015

Changing the World One Peanut Butter Burrito At a Time

I'm all about changing the world, and I've heard it said the way to do this is one person at a time. Well I inadvertently may have been doing this without even knowing it through a peanut butter snack. Several years ago I was hungry and decided to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but when I went to the cupboard, I realized I had no bread. Now there is nothing worse than having decided on a treat to only find out you can't have it. 

As I was putting the jelly back into the fridge with a frown on my face, I noticed a package of flour tortillas and thought, why not? Smearing the jelly and peanut butter on the tortilla and then rolling it like a burrito, I went to the living room and enjoyed my snack. What I discovered is I actually like peanut butter and jelly on a flour tortilla over bread way better. 

Move forward a few years. While at work one day I was in my office having one of my peanut butter burritos when one of my coworkers sat down to talk to me. He saw what I was eating and asked what it was. When I told him, he said, "Gross!" To which I replied, "Have you ever tried one?" Since he hadn't and I had an extra one, I gave it to him. He fell in love immediately.

I work with a lot of Mexican men, and when they heard what I was eating said it was disgusting sounding. I asked them as well if they'd ever had one, but they all said no. Well this week, one of the guys said it sounded disgusting again, so I told him I was going to bring him one. I gave it to him, but didn't see him again until the next day, when he stopped me and told me he really liked it. He told me when he told his wife about it, she also said it sounded disgusting but she made him some fresh tortillas so he could have another one. He asked his seven year old daughter if she wanted one, and she fell in love with them too.

When my boss heard about them, he too said it sounded disgusting, but when I handed it to him this morning and he ate it, he was singing a different tune. He had told his wife last night and she also said it sounded gross, but something tells me he may be having them in his home from now on too. 

It seems I've impacted three families and done so all through something I found out about through desperation, but have added to my snacking delight. If you think it sounds disgusting too, before you just dismiss it, try one and see if you don't agree how great these are. Only don't use a corn tortilla, that would be disgusting. Won't you help me change the world? Try one, then pass it on. For the Kingdom and the King!


No comments: