Friday, May 8, 2015

Are You Ready For God's Test?

I read an interesting passage of Scripture this morning during my daily devotion time. It was found in Judges 2:20-23; 
20 So the Lord burned with anger against Israel. He said, “Because these people have violated my covenant, which I made with their ancestors, and have ignored my commands, 21 I will no longer drive out the nations that Joshua left unconquered when he died. 22 I did this to test Israel—to see whether or not they would follow the ways of the Lord as their ancestors did.” 23 That is why the Lord left those nations in place. He did not quickly drive them out or allow Joshua to conquer them all.

The Lord tested the Children of Israel to see if they would continue to follow Him after Joshua died. This is interesting to me because the stories about the Children of Israel are types and shadows of the life we live today. If God tested them, do you think He might have tests for us today? Before you just blindly agree with my statement I want to go on record here as saying God does not use sickness and disease to test us, so let's don't go there okay?


When the Children of Israel entered the promised land, there were still people to conquer. I find it interesting how God the Father didn't destroy all of their enemies for them. Let me take a little rabbit trail here, for those of you who are parents, let your kids have opportunities to fail in their lives. Don't do everything for them, you are not helping them by doing this. God the Father allowed His children to enter a land filled with enemies, He just told them to stay with Him and they would subdue the land.


Using the Children of Israel as our examples, we can see from time to time God will allow us to be tested as a way of seeing if we are going to follow Him and stay true. What do we do when temptations and challenges run our way? Do we stay close to God and follow His heart for us, or do we run to the world's way of doing things? Sometimes it's hard not to take advice from the world around us; after all there are people right in front of you who you can see. I must confess at times it is harder to follow God just because I can't see Him.


God does test us, not to destroy us, but to help us grow. I know this doesn't fit in with the "everything is okay now that you're a Christian" mindset, but it is true none the less. God doesn't tempt us, but He has allowed things in the world we live to do so, only to see what we will do. You and I have the ability to overcome in each and every situation in life, if we will only choose to do so. I'm reminded of the Scripture where God is speaking and He says, "This day I set before you life and death, choose life." He's not looking to harm us, but we have a choice to make.


We have tests set before us, what will we choose to do with them? Gripe and complain because we are tested, or ask God how to pass the test. Again, He said if any of us lacks wisdom (doesn't know what to do in the middle of a test) all we have to do is ask Him, and He will give it to us liberally and not make fun of us for asking. (Dave's paraphrase)


The next time a challenge arises in your life, face it head on, ask God what to do and then listen for Him to tell you. And I know you'll pass the test with flying colors! For the Kingdom and the King!!!

No comments: