Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Change Is Good

Say this with me, "Change is good." You might want to say it a few more times to really start believing it too, "Change is good." Most of us do not enjoy change in our lives. We work and strive most of the time in order to keep things the way they are. We do this because it makes us feel comfortable, and as human beings we want to feel comfortable most of all. I mean isn't it nice to know what the day will hold for you? To be able to wake up, go through your routine and never have to worry about things happening which you are unprepared for?

The real problem here is we all experience change on a daily basis, regardless of how much we try and keep everything the same. I woke up this morning different than I was yesterday. I'm one day older, my hair is a little bit longer and most of the things I did yesterday, I'll have to do again today because they're old news.

I find it truly funny how much I try and keep things the same in my life too, but what I think it actually boils down to is a desire to control my circumstances. Yes, I'll admit it, I have control issues. I don't like to be out of control of situations, I want to be the one to say what is going to happen next in my life. And when things are out of my control, well let's just say it can get pretty ugly.

Where does this desire to control everything come from? I believe straight from the pit of hell. God tells us in His Word to trust Him, lean on Him, learn from Him, etc. It's actually pretty hard to trust God when I am the one trying to control this situation. It's as if I'm saying God can't handle it. I wonder how this makes Him feel?

As a dad, I know when my kids ignore my input into their lives it makes me feel sad. Not because I think they don't know any better, but it feels as if the relationship suffers. Some of the saddest situations in my life have been when the relationship between me and my kids is strained. I've done a lot of good in my kid's lives, but I've also had my share of sad times too. Most of which came from my idiocy and not theirs. But I digress, I think what I'm trying to say, is God must feel the same way when we don't trust Him.

And what does this say about our relationship with the Father? If we are unable to trust Him, how can we really ever walk in the fullness of all He has for us? The answer is we probably can't. Once again, I've arrived at a revelation about myself, and it's not a pretty picture. Jesus even talked about this in Scripture, take a look at Matthew 6:25-34.

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.


Jesus instructs His disciples here to not worry about tomorrow, and to seek God's Kingdom above all else. One of the things about seeking God's Kingdom is we have to relinquish control of our lives and let Him take charge. I mean if He takes care of the birds, why can we not trust Him to take care of those of us who are made in His image? It's kind of like I've been saying, God, I've got this, You just go on and help someone else today. Well there's an idiotic revelation about myself.

I guess what I'm going to have to do now is figure out how to let it go. Cue music here, I feel a song coming on, ha! Actually, I'm going to have to start doing a better job of trusting God in my life and letting go of the control which is truly hindering me more than helping. Well there's that, go out and have a great day today letting God run things. For the Kingdom and the King

No comments: