Thursday, March 17, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 07 - Let Passion Be Your Guide

One thing I appreciate about being a human being is passion.  Now before you think I’m talking about sex, this is just one of many areas of passion.  Human beings were given this ability to be passionate about things, which animals are not.  I’ve always found it curious when people work so hard to say humans are nothing more than just evolved animals.  Truthfully, I think this is stupid, and can passionately argue the point with you if you like.
One of the main reasons I feel this way is because animals are moved by instinct, and people are moved by passion.  This strong sense of feeling about things drives people to do great things in this world.  Animals, who are moved by instinct, don’t.  Oh don’t get me wrong, they are cute and cuddly (in pet form of course) and provide us with a sense of love and camaraderie for our lives, but they don’t build orphanages, hospitals or do things to better the quality of the lives of the people on this planet.
I’ve got a friend who is passionate about math.  Jason was awarded the Teacher of the Year award this year, and mainly it was due in part to the passion he has for teaching kids the value of math.  And while my math teachers in school were good, if I could do it over again, I wish Mr. Schrepel could be my teacher, because I didn’t learn nearly enough math while I was in school.  He tutored my daughter when she was in high school, and she credits him with the success she is having in college math now.
One thing I have learned in my life is there are different types of passion people can have.  Some have a passion for music, while my friend Jason has it for math and teaching.  I myself have a passion for writing and helping people become better in their lives; especially in the realm of their spiritual lives.  I love to help people find out who they are in Christ, and what they can do in the Kingdom of God.  Whatever you are passionate about you should go out and pursue, because it is in this pursuit you will find your true calling and what you should do on this planet.
This being said, your passion should never violate someone else’s place in the world.  In other words, if you are passionate about golf, but refuse to go to work and provide for your family because you are trying to make it on the golf circuit, you might want to reconsider where your passion is leading you.  You should never put your passion about taking care of your family.  Some people allow their passions to drive them to places they shouldn’t go, which results in destroying their lives.  Drugs and alcohol can do this. 

The passion I’m talking about should drive you to do great things, and in the process help your fellow man.  If we would all follow after these passions, we would see our world end up being a much better place in the future.  Another way to say it is, to follow your heart.  When you follow your heart, and not put your desires always over those of others, you’ll be surprised at how much better your life and the lives of those around you will become.  

No comments: