Sunday, March 13, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 03

It’s a curious thing living life on a planet where the individuals are allowed to make their own minds up about stuff.  It’s even more interesting in an election cycle.  This year has probably been no different than any other time in history with one exception; there are truly no candidates who are worth my vote.
You may call me a bad American, or a non-patriot, but really neither of these descriptions is accurate descriptions of who I am.  I consider myself a patriot, and I’m definitely an American (born and raised in the great state of Oklahoma).  But truthfully when I went to vote in the Presidential primary a few weeks ago, it almost seemed as if it were an obligation instead of the privilege it is for me as an American.  There was part of me which only voted because I feel, if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain after the fact.
I remember once when I owned my shoe store, there was this older fellow who came into the store looking for a pair of shoes.  It was right after a Presidential election, and moods were extremely high and volatile on both sides of the vote.  And while I do have opinions, I always chose to keep them to myself and did my best to remain neutral when talking to customers; after all I was trying to sell them something and not sway their political belief.
This gentleman obviously had not decided to keep his beliefs to himself, and went on to tell me how America was doomed now this new guy was in office.  This went on for almost an hour, and when I’d finally had enough I commented, “It’s just a shame more people didn’t at least vote against him.”  The man’s reply was, “I didn’t even vote, what’s the point?”
I realized I might lose a customer, but I couldn’t contain myself.  I asked him what right he had complaining about anything if he didn’t even bother to go vote, and too many men and women had died for us to have this privilege (and that’s what it is – a privilege, not a right) to place men and women in office.  I actually said, “Shame on you.”
The man quickly shut up, and left the store.  I believe he left in shame, not anger, but who’s to say?  Regardless it really rubbed me the wrong way, and I’ve made it a point to go vote ever since, even in the smallest elections.  If we want to effect change in our society, one of the ways we can do this, is by participating in the electoral process.
Like I said earlier, I don’t really believe any of the candidates running for office are likely to warrant my vote, but I will vote none the less, because it is my duty as an American.  What I plan to do, is once it comes down to the two or three candidates running in the actual election, I will begin to research their policies to determine which one most closely aligns with what I believe, and this along with prayer will determine who I will be voting for.
Until tomorrow, strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!


No comments: