Saturday, March 26, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 14 - Easter Again?

Once again I find myself waiting for Easter to pass.  Don’t get me wrong, I love what Jesus did for me, and I never want to take His sacrifice lightly, even though on more occasions than I’d like to admit, I follow my own desires instead of His. 
Easter is another one of those holidays which has gotten away from us.  Now it is full of bunnies, eggs and candy.  I’m not really even sure how the bunnies and eggs go together either, I mean if it was chickens and eggs this would make sense, but bunnies and eggs?  Who knows?
What I do know is we should be thinking about what Jesus did for us every day.  You know being conscious of the Easter story every day and not just one time a year.  It’s kind of like Valentine’s Day; the holiday made up by a greeting card company to sell more cards.  So every year, men all across this nation run out and purchase stuff to show the girl of his dreams how important she is to him.  Instead of making it a daily ritual like is should be.
Easter reminds me a lot of this, people run back into church on this holiday to ease their conscious and make them show God how they should be allowed into Heaven because they went to church.  The funny thing is, God doesn’t want you in church just for the sake a getting credit.  What He truly wants is a relationship with you, and yes going to church is a part of it, but not just during Easter.
I’ll love going to church in the morning; seeing all the little kids dressed in their Easter finest, the worship songs will be great and I know my Pastor has been preparing a message to reach the lost.  It will be nice to worship with my church family and to see some of the faces I haven’t seen in a while.  But truthfully, Easter is just another Sunday for me to attend church.  The reason I say this is because I go to church every week, I follow Jesus (to the best of my abilities) every day, and I try to think about all He’s done for me more than once a year.
This is not to say if you are planning on attending church this Easter, and haven’t been in a while, you are not a good person.  I don’t believe this for a minute, but I would ask you this, why is it you only go every now and then?  Have you been hurt in a church or by a Christian before and this is why?  Maybe you’ve watched church leaders fall and think only hypocrites go there.  Perhaps you’re one of those people who think going to church is a crutch. 
Whatever the case, the bottom line of Christianity is a real relationship with the Creator of Heaven and Earth, who sent His son, Jesus to die on a cross for the sins of the world and bring God’s children back to Him.  God has a plan for each and every one of us, and it is for our good, not for bad.  As my good friend Daniel Shirley is always saying, “God’s not mad at you, He’s madly in love with you.”
Anyway, I hope you will attend church tomorrow; not just because it’s Easter, but because it is where we get to experience God with our Christian brothers and sisters, who are just as messed up as we are.  Happy Easter, and thank You Jesus for what You did for us all.

No comments: