Thursday, March 24, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 12 - What a Piece of Crap

Writer’s block is a curious thing.  It is when the flow of ideas just doesn’t come.  It’s a lot like being constipated; you want movement, but there just isn’t any.  And the more you force it, the less anything happens, you just sit there sweating and wishing for relief.
I decided to do this thirty-one day writing challenge and today is the first day where I’ve not had an idea of what to write.  And as I watch the minutes tick by, realizing shortly I will have to begin getting ready for work, it is not helping my situation at all.
You would think writing five hundred words would be an easy assignment, and usually for me it is.  But today as I sit here having written only one hundred and thirty four words, it’s beginning to look like a giant mountain I want to scale, but I’m only ten feet from the base.  I know I’ll get there, but wonder how long it will take for me to actually find the words to say to accomplish my goal.
Interestingly enough I have now used two different metaphors in this article which do not go together; constipation and mountain climbing.  I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere, but I’m not sure I’ll find it in time to finish writing.  Thoughts and ideas are like this for me, random and usually not the things you would connect together.  Although I’m pretty sure being constipated while climbing a mountain would not be a fun thing to experience. 
Well, now I’m a little over half way there and this may be the worst thing I’ve ever written.  It doesn’t make sense, and I’m not even sure where I want to end up, other than just getting to my goal.  Today is one of those days, where I don’t really feel it, it’s not here, but I’ve got to accomplish what I’ve decided to do; and this is only day twelve, nineteen more days of writing.  Oh joy.
What I need is a muse I guess.  What is a muse you might ask?  A muse is someone or something which inspires us to creativity.  Legendary muses were spirits which do the same thing, inspire.  While I don’t believe there are spirits which do this, unless perhaps the Holy Spirit of God maybe, I wish there was something to send a jolt of inspiration through me to help with my writing today. 
As I work to complete my goal, I can’t help but think about an article I’m working on for my church.  I started working on it yesterday, and am looking forward to seeing it to completion.  I probably should have been working on it instead of this; it would be a whole lot more interesting I’m sure.  But it’s too late now; this is going to have to be it for today.

Today I had no muse, no inspiration of any kind, yet I have managed to make it to the five hundred word mark.  While not my best work, I at least accomplished what I set out to do.

No comments: