Tuesday, March 15, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 05 - My Friend Jason Kearney

Entrepreneurs; the dictionary defines them like this: a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.  I like to define them as those people who see things from a different perspective than others, usually resulting in monetary rewards which are greater than just working for someone.  I’ve got a friend who is just this, and I decided today to dedicate my 500 words to him and his business. 
Jason Kearney and I have been friends for close to twenty-five years.  I first came to know Jason when he came into my shoe store to buy shoes.  I was so impressed with this young man I asked him if he wanted a job working for me.  He worked with me in the shoe store for many years, many times people thinking we were brothers more than a boss and employee. 
I’ve always found Jason to be a very talented young man, gifted in his ability to draw and do things creatively.  When we were decorating my son’s room when he was younger, Jason painted a Star Wars space scene on one of the walls, complete with Star Destroyers, x-wing and tie fighters and the Millennium Falcon.  It was so cool; I told him I wished I would have had such an awesome thing when I was a kid.
Through the years, we’ve watched our kids grow, and we’ve both gone on to do other things besides selling shoes, but our friendship has remained.  A little over a year ago, I noticed he was selling beard combs online, and I contacted him to see if we could get together because I had to ask him about this new venture he was starting.
He told me the story about how he started Bedlam Beard Company, and like most stories about how a company began, I found it hilarious.  Jason and his wife Kari were discussing the differences between Oklahoma and her home state of Washington.  At one point in the conversation she told him, “Your state even looks like a comb.”  He told me after she had gone to bed for the night, he began playing around with the idea of a comb shaped like Oklahoma.
Contacting a local company, he took his design to them, and they cut out a few stainless steel beard combs for him.  Setting up and Easy account, and pursuing beard fans on Instagram, he began selling his product.  It wasn’t too long before he was back having more products produced.  Then expanding his company by adding beard oils and mustache waxes, it seemed as if he’d been given a license to print money.
One of the really cool things about Jason, is he loves to give back.  He has sold some of his beard combs to raise money for St. Jude hospital, and was a part of a rally to help cover medical expenses for a child in need.  I read a review just a couple of days ago from a customer whose order got messed up.  Jason sent the customer a replacement product, telling him when he had the actual product he’d ordered was available it would be sent to him at no extra charge.  The reviewer was blown away by the attention to detail and customer service; something Jason has always been great at doing.
I’m very proud of my friend for taking the risk and going after something he feels passionate about.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the cover of the Fortune 500 magazine in the future.  There was a very nice online article written about him, and you can read it here: http://www.johnbranam.com/bedlam-beard-co/
And if you are a fellow brother of the brush, check out his Etsy account and see what this great company is all about.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/BedlamBeardCompany

No comments: