Wednesday, February 22, 2012

When Things Don't Make Sense

What do you do when things don't make sense? I know that confusion is a tool that the enemy uses to try and distract people from the promises that God has given them, and that God never uses confusion at all. But from time to time I have found that this life I'm leading doesn't make sense to me. For instance, who would have thought that at forty-eight I would begin a completely new career path? Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not upset that this has happened, it actually may be one of the best things to have happened to me in years, but I can say that it wasn't on my radar at least.

Listening to my Pastor this past Sunday he was talking about Noah and the building of the ark. The comment that made my ears perk up was about how we know the story of Noah, how he built the ark, brought all the animals on board and was saved from destruction. But, Noah didn't know all of that until after it had happened. He had to believe God's word to him for that day, and God didn't show him a power point presentation of what all was going to happen either. Noah had to take it one day at a time, walking by faith and trusting God.

I remember a time from my past, which seems like an eternity ago, when Cheryl and I were newly married and working two jobs. We had a little debt back then (man I wish I only had the debt I had back then now) and I was lamenting to the Lord on the way to my second job about how if He would just drop me a check from Heaven for the amount we owed, then we could get on with working for Him more. This is the only time I have ever experienced actually hearing an audible voice from the Lord, not just that still small voice in my heart, and He said, "If I did that, you'd quit walking by faith." I must admit, I actually turned around to see who was sitting in the back seat of my car, it was that clear to me. I know that it was the Lord, because those nine words brought a peace to my heart that up until that time I had not known.

Well that is where I'm at today. I'm not wanting the Lord to drop money from Heaven to me (although I wouldn't refuse it either) but there are some things in my life that are going on right now that I don't understand. And while the Lord hasn't spoken to me like He did so many years ago, I can still hear Him telling me to hang on, and keep walking by faith. After all, it is when we are walking by faith that we truly please Him, and that is something that I really want to do.

I watched a movie that I have been anticipating for several months now, called
The Way. It stars Martin Sheen, and is a film by his son Emilio Estevez. There was one line in the movie that captured my heart, and actually fits in with what I'm writing about today. It said, "You don't choose a life, you live one." And that is where I find myself in life, not so much choosing it, but getting to live it each and every day, wondering what each day will bring. And that's not a bad thing, it's just a new way for me, probably the one that God has wanted for me all along.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: