Friday, February 17, 2012

Lest You Entertain Angels Unaware

Hebrews 13:2 tells us that we can experience angels in our lives. Now I believe that the angels of God exist, but this morning I want to talk about the people that we run into in our daily lives. They may or may not actually be angels, but they can bless our lives too, if we are watching for them to do so.

There is a man that I met at work a while back that I always thought had a great outlook on life, and I wondered what it was that made him be able to have that upbeat and positive attitude. Then one day as we were talking, he mentioned Jesus and then I knew. This man is a brother in Christ with me. Talk about some exciting news, it was awesome to meet another Christian and have something in common besides the fact that we both worked in the same factory.

Now truthfully, I may or may not have had much interaction with this fella based on the jobs that we both do, but now find myself looking for opportunities to engage him in conversation. Derek asked me one day, "Hey what's your name? I like to know the names of the people that I work with." That was refreshing to me for some reason. I think that on that day I was a little down about my job and place in the Kingdom of God, and this little kindness really brightened my day.

We really never know what our words or actions can do for another person. To him, introducing himself to me and asking my name wasn't really that big of a deal probably, but to me it was like a lifeline thrown to a drowning person. It really helped me that day, and our short conversations since then have continued to encourage me in my walk with the Lord. I know that Derek is not an angel in the literal since, but just like Hebrews says, some people have actually interacted with angels and didn't know it, and missed out on the blessing that God had for them. I'm glad that I didn't miss out on what God had for me in my friendship with Derek.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: