Saturday, February 11, 2012

Capital Punishment? I Think Yes!

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more!" Well maybe not really unto the breach, but another blog. I was back in my Bible this morning and came across this passage in Deuteronomy, "You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid." And it dawned on me once again why I believe in capital punishment; because it works. Now I don't plan on debating the pros and cons of capital punishment, I do plan on sharing my opinion which is one of the reasons that I actually blog. What I found this morning was that if evil is purged from the country, then the people will hear about it and be afraid, thus causing them to not do the evil that was purged.

When I was a much younger man and in high school, one of the things that my parents instilled in me was a healthy fear of law enforcement. I remember, and still to this day have a tendency to clinch my butt cheeks whenever a police cruise pulls up behind me in traffic. I was very afraid of spending a night in jail, and that fear kept me from doing a lot of things that would have been bad.

The problem that we have nowadays is that there is no respect for the law. Violence and theft is a huge blemish on society as a whole. People just aren't afraid of getting into trouble with the law anymore I guess. And I think that is partly because of the unwillingness of judges and other elected officials to make a stand. I saw where the average stay on death row for a prisoner in Florida was 12.9 years. Really!?! I mean, the person was arrested, put on trial, convicted and sentenced, and yet 12.9 years goes by before the execution takes place? Herein may lie the problem.

Please understand me here, I am not a blood thirsty barbarian who loves to see people killed, not at all. But I do understand the fact that we need to have laws in order to govern the people mainly because where there is an absence of law, there the people will run a muck. And boy do we seem to ever have an absence of law in the times we live in. Not to mention that the "do what feels good to you" attitude is prevalent in today's society as well.

We read in history of nation's that followed the hedonistic lifestyle and say to ourselves, "Wow, they lived horrible lives, no wonder their society fell apart." But the day and age that we are now in sees a much more hedonistic lifestyle than any of those ever before in history, and yet we (as a people group) think because we are more enlightened that our society will prevail where others failed. How arrogant. How deceived.

God instructed the Israelite nation to purge the evil from them, and then they would be afraid to do that evil. Yet now in this generation, we celebrate evil and wonder why things are the way they are. Could it be that God was right all along? Hmm...I think so. Let's get back to doing what is right, and calling those out who won't do it. Like Edmond Burke said, "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." And I'm afraid that is what has been happening for quite long enough. I for one will stand up and make my voice loud and strong in the face of the evil that I see, how about you?

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Change occurs, no doubt, as time has passed life has changed in our society. Unfortunately change has occurred to a point where tradition is becoming a rare item. It was nice to read your post David. It is time to stand up, make a stand for our founding fathers. The voice is a powerful tool to make a movement. I for sure will make a impact and not sit idle when long term generational values are targeted by satan and his tag along disruptors try to dismantle GOD's Blessings on America and Israel.