Monday, July 18, 2011

What To Do When You Don't Feel Like Doing

I don't know if you have ever found yourself in the place where you didn't want to do anything at all before. I find myself in that place today. Longing for something transcendent instead of the daily grind. Hoping that my mere existence isn't just a cosmic waste of time. And questions, I have had so many questions running through my mind today, that I think I would like to scream!

I can't seem to figure out the relationships that I'm in, my place in this world or even what I really want to do with the rest of my life. It is a frustrating place to be sure, and the worst part of it all is that God seems distant to me today. Actually, He has seemed distant for quite a few days now. I know that He is there, because the Bible says that He will never leave me nor forsake me. (Hebrews 13:5) I just don't sense His Presence, and that bothers me to a degree.

I'm not depressed, but I do feel like crawling back into bed and going to sleep. I hate it when I'm like this too, but what to do in order to bring me out of this funk just eludes me. Is this an attack of the enemy, or just laziness on my part? Do I just need to draw my sword and charge the field? Today I'm not feeling so much like William Wallace, as I am the guy back in the third row with a pitchfork who just wants to leave the battlefield and go home.

I remember that King David had days like this, he wrote them down in the book of Psalms. I also remember that King David encouraged himself in the Lord when things looked rough too. Since I have an hour and a half drive ahead of me later today, I will be doing just that, encouraging myself in the Lord.

So there's that, another day in the life of Gods First Knight...

1 comment:

Lana Vaughan said...

Fighting a similar battle today. Not even sure I have a pitchfork in my hand.