Tuesday, July 12, 2011

There And Back Again...A David's Journey


I don't know if you've ever read The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien before, but if you have you know the pure joy of the story about a little hobbit who gets swept up into an adventure of a lifetime and comes to realize that there is lot more to him than he ever imagined.

The story is set in a fantastical land where dwarves, elves, men, dragons and a whole host of other very inventive characters live. But what I find the most intriguing, is that Tolkien uses characters which are in fact make believe, yet which have the very same personality traits that you would find in all the kinds of people that we come across in our daily lives.

I finished reading The Hobbit earlier this year, but when I saw the first pictures of the actors who are playing some of the dwarves in their costumes, for the upcoming Hobbit movie that Peter Jackson (The writer, producer & director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.) is making, I was blown away and decided that perhaps I should read it once again.

I can honestly say that this is the one book (Besides the Bible.) that I can pick up and read and immediately I am swept up into the story, and no matter how many times I read it I enjoy it just as much as the very first time that I read it. Not many books can lay claim to that in my library, but this one sure does.

A couple of years ago, I read the book with the mindset of really following the main character Bilbo Baggins. What I mean by that is that every time as I was reading the story and it involved Bilbo, I watched his reactions, his demeanor and what he was thinking about himself a the time. While I did this, a very interesting thing happened, I began to see Bilbo as a type and shadow of my Christian walk with God. Now I know that this is not a Christian book in the sense of using chapter and verse, but the Lord did use it to show me some things about myself. And if he could use a talking donkey in the Bible, why not a Hobbit in another book?

Since I don't want to spoil the story for any of you that perhaps have not read this book, I will not tell you what I found out. If you are curious to know, email me at godsfirstknight@yahoo.com and I'll be happy to tell you. The first of two movies is due to be released in 2012 click here to find out more about that. Let me just conclude by saying, if you have not read this book, then I highly recommend it. If you have read it, then what about picking it back up and giving it another read? I think you'll be glad you did.


No comments: