Thursday, April 28, 2011

In Service to the King

Here in the United States, I think that we don't realize what it means to have a king. Obviously because we threw off the yoke of being under a king to become our own nation. The very idea of having a king is really a foreign concept to us. But in the Kingdom of God, we do have a King and I think it would do us all well to try and learn what it means to be a subject in a kingdom in service to a king.

Few things have captured my heart like that of knights and medieval times. I can remember from when I was a young boy swinging sticks around, slaying dragons and rescuing fair maidens. There is just something about that time period that I've always loved. As I've grown into adulthood that fondness has never left me, although I must admit that I too don't really understand what it means to serve a king.

I remember a few years ago, I was at church during a Sunday morning service. We were in the midst of worship and I felt led to go down front and fall on my knees and spend some time there with my Lord Jesus. I remember being there on my knees in prayer when these words sprang
from my lips, "My sword is Your's Lord." I wasn't just saying words, it was a very solemn time for me, one where I felt I was actually in the presence of Jesus. It was a very holy time for me, and one that I will remember forever. I think it was at that time that I really began to think of myself as Gods1stKnight. (An online screen name that I have used for many years now.)

I look at the Scripture and see a man named Ananias, who was just a servant of the King, yet it was he that Jesus used to bring Saul into the Kingdom. It wasn't one of the original apostles that did this, just a normal everyday believer. That's encouraging to me, because it shows me that God does not just use the elite...He uses whom He chooses, and that is most often those that are willing to have bowed their knees to His Lordship on a daily basis.

It's a wonderful thing to call on the Name of the Lord and get saved, but are you becoming a disciple of His? A disciple is someone who does more than just prays the sinner's prayer and then shows up at church once in a while. A disciple is someone who is constantly on the look out for opportunities to learn about the Kingdom, share the Kingdom with others and just plain and simple does what Jesus did while He was here on the Earth.

I was born again a lot longer than I have been a disciple of His. But since that day of bowing my knees to my King and offering my sword to Him, I have made every effort to follow His leading and become the best subject in His Kingdom that I can be. How about you? Are you a disciple of His, one that has offered up your sword for His cause?

Get 'em up folks, let's go out and whip something for the Kingdom today!

1 comment:

El Jefé said...

That is good stuff. Almost an exact version of what I preached to the kids last night. And then I prayed over than the Knights Oath from Kingdom of Heaven.