Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How Do You Handle Being Confronted?

I received an email this morning telling me that I had hurt someone's feelings, (The writer did say it was unintentional 0n my part.) and that I should go and make amends. My first reaction (Not always the best thing to go off of either.) was to bow up and say out loud, "Who does he think he is telling me what to do? I haven't even heard from him in over a year!"

I've walked this road with the Father long enough to know better than to dismiss what is inside my heart when these types of things arise. So I will talk with Him about this further and see where I need to go with this information. Just because this has come up, and may even be true, does not mean that it is in fact from God, but could very well be a distraction from the enemy. This is why we need to take time to discern what exactly is going on. One thing that I've always gone by is the notion of following after peace. If something brings peace to my heart, then it is from God, if it brings turmoil and confusion, then it is from the enemy.

You see, while the information that I received from this friend today may in fact be true from his point of view, (He has only heard one side of the story and is now confronting me and telling me to fix it.) I will have to judge whether or not this is something that I need to respond to, or to let go. If I've learned anything about the enemy it is this, he loves to meddle in the affairs of men. He can't do anything to men and women unless they give him permission to do so, and just as God uses people, the devil uses people as well.

That is where I've made a lot of mistakes in my past, in just flying off the handle when some confrontation comes. Instead of taking time to talk to the Father about it, I just rush off to handle it, which usually causes it turns out bad. I am learning, and as a disciple of Christ I think it is our job to continue on learning at the feet of the Master. We never truly arrive at that point in our Christian walk where we become the "super" disciple that needs no more instruction. On the contrary, we are following the Lord daily, or at least we should be, seeking Him to mold us into His image.

So how do you handle being confronted with situations? Running to your flesh, or to the Father God? I heard a man talking about emotional responses one time say, if your emotions run high, your intelligence will in turn be low. But if you can keep your emotional level low, then your intelligence will be high. I think that is why the enemy tries so hard to get us emotionally worked up all the time. He knows that if we are operating at a high emotional level, then we will make mistakes because we have circumvented our intelligence.

Let's get 'em up folks, and go whip something for the Kingdom today!


1 comment:

Lana Vaughan said...

Checking with God first is always a wise choice. One of the problems I have found when someone brings me a situation that is not their own is that they do not/can not have all the parts exactly right. Eye witness reports of incidents vary widely and are easily discredited in court. Second hand recitation of events after marinating in them for year have more holes than an old fisherman's net. Take it to God and if He directs return to the original parties involved, thanking the emailer for bringing it to your attention but moving him out of the resolution process. When I offend someone directly my heart is to restore with them directly.