Thursday, January 27, 2011

X Always Marks The Spot

If you've lived in the United States for any length of time, then during the Christmas holiday you have probably noticed that many people will shorten "Christmas" to "X-mas". A lot of people (myself included) don't like the shortened version and say that it is an attempt to secularize the holiday and take Christ out of it. But did you know that the letter X in the Greek language is actually the first letter in the Greek spelling of Christ? Look here:

The greek letter Chi ('x') is the first letter for the greek word for Christ, Xristos.

I remember a particular scene in the third Indiana Jones movie where Indy is telling his class that archeology is a lot of hard work digging in the earth, and that X never ever marks the spot. Of course later on in the library that is proven wrong to him and is a comedic moment in the movie.

I decided that I needed to blog this morning, to kind of get my mind rolling after having read my Bible and drank my coffee, and the thought came to me that "X" never marks the spot. (Don't ask my why that particular thought came to my mind, some times I just hear pirate words.) I thought back with fondness to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, my personal favorite movie of the Indiana Jones series, and thought I'll just title my blog, "X Never Marks The Spot".

As I typed that, my spirit prompted me to look up what the letter "X" meant in Christianity and I found the definition I wrote earlier. It was at that point that I decided that I would change the title to "X Always Marks The Spot". And what I mean by that is, if you are a Christian then "X" marks the spot on your heart, and it always will. If "X" represents Jesus, then that is where you will find Him, in your heart.

But how many of us need to unearth that "X"? How many of us have allowed the "X" in our heart to be covered over with things of the world? Maybe each day we should become an archeologist and unearth what lies hidden in our heart? It's just a thought, hopefully one that will provoke you to take a little inventory and see if the Jesus in you is being overlooked because it's been a while since He was unearthed in your heart.

In the parable of the soils, (Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20 & Luke 8:4-15) Jesus gives us an example of four differing types of soil that we can find our heart's condition to be in; beside the road, gravel, in with the weeds, or rich, good soil. It is based on these conditions as to what type of harvest will grow in our lives. We can't blame the seed (God's Word), we can't blame the sower, we can only blame the type of soil, and that is where we come in.

We need to till up the soil of our heart, so that we are ready to recieve the seed (God's Word) and let it produce in us the harvest that Jesus truly wants to see in our lives. We must take a hard look at our life and see what state our heart is in, and remove whatever is lingering there that is hindering God's Word from producing in our lives. Remember, "X" does mark the spot for a Christian. So get 'em up, let's go out and whip something for the Kingdom today!

No comments: