Friday, January 28, 2011

What Are You Worshipping?

I was doing my daily Bible reading today and came across this verse of Scripture in the Message translation: Exodus 22:20, "Anyone who sacrifices to a god other than God alone must be put to death." Wow! Now what if we were actually living by this today? Could you see the headlines in the paper; Another 10,000 People Put To Death!

I mean seriously, you've seen it too, people for the most part are sacrificing to other gods all the time. There's the god of sports, fashion, entertainment, business, money and selfishness. Truly there are too many to list here, but it is really easy to get busy and forget God in the day to day if we don't pay attention to what we're doing.

Take for instance, you read in the Bible that a man that doesn't provide for his family is worse than an unbeliever, (1 Timothy 5:8), so you go to work, and you work hard to provide for your family. But as the years pass on, you end up working more and more, and while you are providing for your family you really end up sacrificing them at the altar of money, because you are more about making the money than you are about your family.

I experienced this in my life to a small degree. I used to work long hours at the shoe store, working and working. At one point I was working every Wednesday night until 7pm, and ususally didn't go to church on that night because I couldn't show up to church on time. Until one day, my oldest son asked me, "Daddy, are you ever going to go to church with us on Wednesday nights again?" I started closing the shoe store at 6pm on Wednesdays the very next week. I refused to miss one more week of church attendance with my family, regardless of what might come of my businesss. I'm happy to report that I didn't see any significant income loss because of my decision.

We are only given so much time on this planet, and do we really want to spend it worshipping things that are going to go to dust as well? Maybe if we were to implement this Scripture into society again we'd see less people focusing on the wrong things, and more people worshipping God...wouldn't that be great?

Well get 'em up folks! Let's go out and whip something for the Kingdom today!

No comments: