Monday, April 13, 2009

Where are the leaders?

Okay, so I've just gotta get this off of my chest. It's really been bothering me, and to be quite honest if I don't get it out, I think I might literally explode.

WHERE ARE ALL THE LEADERS?

I mean come on, I wonder where all the leaders are nowadays. When I was growing up back in the late sixties and early seventies, we knew who the bad guys were because of the way they acted. Now that I'm forty-five, I wonder if anyone really knows who the bad guys are. What I've seen doesn't lead me to believe they do.

When my childhood hero John Wayne fought against the bad guys in the movies he was in, you could always tell who they were. For the most part it was simple, they were the guys who were trying to tell other people what to do. Things really haven't changed that much in all these years. The bad guys still are telling people what to do.


In the movies, the bad guys would start messing with folks, and some good guy would ride in and take care of them. One of my favorite scenes of all times is in the movie "True Grit". John Wayne plays a crotchity old guy named Rooster Cogburn. He's been hunting this particular bad guy for a while, and it's time for the showdown. Rooster hollars at the man, "Fill your hands you s.o.b.!" and taking the reigns into his mouth he charges his horse across the field firing a rifle from one hand and a pistol from the other.
What I love about this scene is that Rooster Cogburn just takes care of business. He doesn't wait for a comittee meeting, or worry if the political pundits will say anything negative about his decision. He just takes care of business, like a leader should.
In this day and age, we need leaders both men and women to stand up and do right because it's the right thing to do, not because it might make it onto the news and make them look better. Where are the leaders? I'm not sure, but I know this...if John Wayne were still alive, he'd probably have a big job using his boot to get his point across...strength and honor....

No comments: