Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Stand Up

Okay, so I'm not a fan of beauty pagents, and I don't watch them. But apparently this last Ms. USA pagent has had some controversy surrounding it. I watched the clips where Perez Hilton, this guy who's claim to fame is that he is some type of celebrity blogger was a judge for the pagent. He asked Ms. California a question did she think all states should allow gay marriage.
Her answer was that while she thought everyone was entitled to choose, her opinion was that marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

The thing that I find interesting is then a day or two later he is referring to her using the "b" word and the "c" word. I'm wondering what she did to deserve such horrid and deragitory treatment. She answered his question in a way that he didn't like! What has this world come to when we are asked what our opinions are and then we are blasted because we didn't answer in the way the person asking for our opinions wanted us to?

This little poser boy should be taken to task for his treatment of her. Where are all the women's groups? They have been mysteriously quiet as this girl has been raked over the coals. If she had been raped physically by Perez Hilton there woud be all types of outcries...wouldn't there? He has verbally raped her, and don't think it is anything other than that. He has violated her as a person, not caring the least bit for her heart. No, all he is doing is trying to get a little bit bigger piece of fame and fortune for himself, and I for one am sickened by the lack of support for this girl who stated her mind.

Okay, so I'm a little worked up today over this, because it seems that if we stand up and say what we believe and it doesn't match up to the main stream of society then we are treated as lepers or outcasts. I for one, would much rather spend time with lepers and outcasts than the mainstream of society with its small view of a person's heart.

So hear my battle cry today, "Stand up! Stand up for what is good, honest and decent! Don't cower down to the main stream of society that says you are a bigot if you don't agree with them! Stand up and look evil square in its face and call it what it is. No more should we stand idly by while all that is good, virtous and true get trampled in the name of getting along! Stand up and speak the truth in love all the while keeping your spine stiff and straight as the onslaught of popular opinion crashes into you like a wave!"

I'm reminded of the quote, "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men and women to do nothing." (Dave's paraphrase) It's time for those of us who are tired of the main stream of society to get out there and divert the flow of it away from what is good and true, and aim it in the direction of where it really needs to go, the sewer.

11 comments:

Lana Vaughan said...

Absolutely! My daughter and I were discussing this after watching an interview on the Today show. My daughter is so proud of Miss California and said, "I really like her, mom. She's not afraid to tell people the truth and she looks so pretty while she's doing it."

If Miss America is to be a role model for the next generation of women they missed the mark.

channing said...

Dave,
I enjoyed reading your reaction but should warn you from using the term "rape". Let us speak rationally. What Perez did was not the equivalent of rape (but it was definitely abusive).
On to another point, Perez's criticism was Ms. California didn't "lie" in order to gain the title. I wish someone would call him "on the carpet" for it.
BTW, the reason why women's groups are not coming to Ms California's defense because they see these beauty pagents as demeaning to women (and I couldn't agree more). I'm suprised more Christians don't protest the existence of these pagents who promote physical beauty of spritual beauty. There's a big difference between Ms USA and Susan Boyle of "Britian has Talent" fame.

Jami said...

I agree with Channing that this is why the women's group's aren't coming to the rescue. I, also, agree that we should call into question a pageant that promotes physical beauty over spiritual virtue. But, I really appreciated your post. I think it's good to remember that we, as Christians, cannot always expect to be accepted and applauded when we stand up for what is true (see Matthew 5:11), and that in general our job is to take up the unpopular position, to champion for the underdog. Thanks for the reminder. I think it makes it easier to stand up for what is right when we recognize that others are standing with us.

Gods1stKnight said...

I appreciate your comment Channing and Jami. I agree I don't really like pageants myself, but I think that it is a little one sided of the women's groups to not come out in her defense.
I think that it seems a little bit ridiculous that just because a lady decides to go into pageantry that when she is attacked verbally the women's groups dismiss that because of the situation.
That's like saying, "Well she got what she deserved because she chose the pageant." And that is stupid. No matter what choices we make, we should be a person first, and that is what I thought the women's groups were all about...women....apparently not.

El Jefé said...

I won't get into the beauty contest debate. That is not the point here. The point is, this girl, was trashed, and yes, I'd use the word raped, for her beliefs.

The biggest problem is, for the most part, we do nothing. A comment here, a comment there. But what do we really do?

Daves earlier blog on "Where are the Leaders?" speaks volumes here. We need to flood every possible outlet with outrage at this so called judge and his treatment of this young lady.

I don't have daughters, but if I did, I'd be stepping up toe to toe with this little man, if he treated my princess that way.

channing said...

David,
I assume when you mention "women's group" you mean the "left's women's group" right? But I want to know where are the "Right's" women's groups?
Jeff, I can't disagree with you any more on using the word "rape". Ask any woman who has been raped and I'm sure they'll explain the difference to you.
As for flooding media outlets, I think we should but in a humble manner. Using words like "rape" or ad hominen arguments does not serve our cause. I think our responses should hold up the mirror to our adversaries and point out their intellectual inconsistencies. I realize it's tough when people say stupid things but we must remember they too were created in God's image and worthy of our respect.

Gods1stKnight said...

Yeah Channing I'd agree that this poser is in fact made in the image of God no doubt there. But he needs to be called to task for his words.
We are nothing if not what our words say. I am judged for what I say, and I should be. If I'm called on the carpet for my words I will stand there and take it like a man.
All I'm saying is that this guy should be called for what he said. Go out there and call Hillary Clinton, or Barbara Bush what this guy called the contestant on his blog and see if someone doesn't raise a stink about it.
This country is too one sided in its thinking....and that needs to change.

Gods1stKnight said...

I missed you last statement Channing. As to they are worthy of our respect, I'd have to disagree. This guy is not worthy of any respect based upon what he has said. That he is made in the image of God, yes I can respect that, but I cannot respect him because he isn't carrying himself in a manner worthy of respect.

channing said...

David,
Are you saying you cannot distingquish between the act (words) and the person? And biblically speaking you are not a product of your words. You have intrinsic value. You are a child of God and a co-heir; or as C.S. Lewis you're a Prince. And another parting shot, none of us is worthy of respect except by the sacrifice of Christ. Let's not demonize those who are wounded and lost.

Gods1stKnight said...

No worries here Channing...I think you are a product of your words. The man has intrinsic value yes, but is also responsible to society for his words and actions.
If I tell you that I will sell you a pair of $150 nikes for $5,which I'm not by the way ;-)then I would be held accountable for my words. My word is my bond. When did we get to the point where a man wasn't held accountable for his words? I think men should be held accountable for their words...it's as simple as that....

channing said...

David,
I think we're talking about two different things. I agree with you one should be held accountable for their actions but I would caution all of us to demonstrate humility and not commit the same mistake as our enemies.
It's similar to the whole Gitmo thing. How can we tell the world we're a moral nation when we torture prisoners? Or during the 50's when we tried to tell developing nations we were for freedom and yet we denied blacks civil rights.
Anyways, I think we're on the same page but we have a different focus...
Now, aren't you glad you reconnected with me? ;-) And I'll take you up on your $5 Nike's