Monday, April 27, 2009

I Used To Fit In With The World





I was on my way to work yesterday, it was time once again to inventory the shoe store. On the way to work I was listening to my truck's radio and there were people talking about recycling our trash. They actually used the words "good trash" and "bad trash". Okay so here it is the definition of the word "trash" - rubbish: worthless material that is to be disposed of. Okay that is according to Webster's Dictionary.

As I decided that I had heard enough of that station, I changed it to another local station, and heard them talking about how "green" our city is. They used the phrase, "green footprint", meaning how well we are protecting the enviroment. I must admit, that I did not really understand what any of these people were talking about. I used to fit in with the world, but apparently not any more. I felt like an old, used up has-been from another era listening to those radio broadcasts.

I personally believe that "going green" and recycling everything under the sun is an excercise in futility. Let me explain what I mean by that. According to
2 Peter 3:7 & 10 (7)By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. (10)But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
I say that it is an excercise in futility because of the fact that one day it will all be burned up in the day of judgement. This planet that people are feverishly trying to save, will be destroyed eventually...and no matter how big a green footprint we leave, it is not going to stop it.

This is not to say that I think we should willingly pollute the enviroment, no not at all. If you would take a look inside the cab of my truck you would realize that I think littering is a bad thing. So much so, that I would rather ride around with a bunch of trash in the floorboard than to throw it out.

I guess my question is this, what are we really teaching this younger generation? That if they seperate clear plastics from dark plastics it makes them a better person? How? What is the agenda here really? It seems to me to be more about "how" it makes the person who is doing it feel, than actually about the "what" it does for the enviroment.


I'm just becoming obsolete as a member of society I guess, not that that's really a bad thing...the way society is going. I'll keep my enviroment clean of trash, (I learned that from the crying Indian) but I'm not going to recycle...I'll leave that for the "feel good" generation....

No comments: