Monday, February 9, 2015

Evil On My Doorstep Part 2


I’m going to tell you about the worst time my family ever faced, and what we have done to overcome in the midst of adversity.  I’m writing this now, because I feel the time has finally come for me to tell our story.  It is my desire to lift Jesus up throughout this telling, and not to take any of the credit or glory for how we as a family responded to this tragic event in our lives, because I realize there is nothing we could have done within ourselves to get to the place we are today.  Without the help of our Father God, we would never have made it.


It is my hope and prayer you will find something in this story which will relate to where you are in life, and in my sharing you will be able to take something away from this which will encourage you to continue to follow God even through the midst of trials, despair and tragedy.  And if you are not a follower of Jesus Christ, then my prayer for you is that you will be by the end of this tale.  So let’s get right to it, shall we?


The day was like any other day in the Felts household; I got up early while the rest of my family was still in their rooms sleeping, drank my coffee, spent some time in my Bible and on the internet and then got ready to go open the business my wife and I owned in town. 


Like I said, just a typical day with one exception, on this night Cheryl and I were to begin facilitating a new marriage class at our church.  Through the years, we had both worked in various aspects of children’s ministry at our church, serving almost every time the doors were open, with our children right there beside us helping.  It was a family affair, and something I will cherish all my days.


But our time in the children’s ministry had come to a close, I was now leading the men’s ministry and Cheryl was helping in various other capacities, but we both felt a desire to help people in our church in their marriages and families.  I remember the two of us talking about what was to come, and how excited we both were to begin this new endeavor.


Cheryl and I ran a local family shoe store, and had done so for many years.  At this particular season in our life we were the only two employees, so I would open the store each day, while Cheryl would come in later in the day to help me.  Our kids were thirteen, fifteen and seventeen at the time, and we homeschooled each of them, so Cheryl would get their schoolwork started before coming to the store.


Like I said, this day was unlike any other we had experienced.  It was the same old typical things in the Felts household; Micah, April and Noah pestering each other while Cheryl worked at getting them focused on school.  There was laughter and chaos all at the same time, just your typical family dynamic.


Around one o’clock Cheryl showed up at the shoe store, and I left to go home for lunch.  Micah had already left for his part time job at QuikTrip, a local convenience store by the time I got there.  I believe April was in the living room watching Sponge Bob Squarepants on the TV while Noah was doing his thing in his bedroom.


I ate lunch, and then told the kids to do something nice for their mother and clean up the living room before she got home to pick them up later.  Of course I was met with the same typical response usually received from teenagers; moaning, groaning and complaining.  To this day, I regret the fact of yelling at Noah to just stop complaining and do what I asked.  I did tell the kids I loved them as I left, and for them to be ready to go at six o’clock.


So many things were going on during that afternoon, and I’ve often wondered and questioned God about them.  To this day I still have no answers to some of my questions, but as a great minister told me once, sometimes after you’ve asked God your questions, you just have to put them on the back burner and wait for the answers to come.
 

On a side note here, I want to say my children know their dad loves them.  I say it often, and have worked diligently to make sure there is no doubt in their minds about this.  Even when I was forced to discipline my kids, it always ended with me telling them I loved them.  This is something which is so important for kids to know, and we as fathers must be sure we do this.
 

With that being said, I’d like to speak to the dads out there for just a moment.  You have an extremely important role to play in your children’s lives.  You are the example of God to them; what they see you do, will translate over to how they relate to their Spiritual Father.  It is a heavy responsibility for sure, but one you can and must bear.
 

And dads, this doesn’t mean you have to be perfect, because none of us are.  What we must be is be quick to forgive, and even quicker to repent.  Our kids don’t need to see us as perfect; they need to see us as real.  And real men make mistakes; they just don’t run from them.  Real men own up to their mistakes, and make it right by those they’ve wronged.  So don’t beat yourself up when you make a mistake, just make it right, and use it as a learning experience for both you and your family.


Cheryl and I continued to work that afternoon, and as the time approached for us to leave to go to the church, she left early to purchase the snacks we planned on serving our class.  In between customers, I looked over the material once more in preparation, excitement building in my heart for the lives we were going to touch.  Yet at that very moment unknown to me, evil was in my home, preparing to tear the very fabric of my family’s lives in an effort to destroy us.

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: