Saturday, February 14, 2015

How Are You Seeing Things?


We all have a story to tell, everyone of us.  Some of the stories are better than others; there are those which are full of hardships, while others seemed to be filled with wonderful things like ponies, new cars at Christmas and the like.  The really interesting thing about everyone's story is regardless of the circumstances, good or bad we are all loved by our Heavenly Father and He only wants the best for us.  It's just up to us how we see our story.

Perspective is an awesome thing if used correctly.  The other day, I read a letter a young lady wrote to her family. This girl was being held captive by a terrorist organization, and had been their hostage for a while.  I was amazed mainly by the positive message she wrote to them.  Never once did she complain about her situation, she spoke words of encouragement about when they would all be together again, and what they would do on that happy day.  Unfortunately, the young lady was murdered by the terrorist, but I really believe her outlook about the situation, even as bad as it was, was positive because she chose to see it that way.

The definition for the word perspective is: a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view.  Regardless of your situation, it is the attitude you have during it which is going to make the difference.  It is totally up to us, and we cannot blame anyone else.

Let me tell you a little story from my own life as an example of what I mean.  It wasn't too long ago, I was asked to stay later than normal at work.  Well, it was cold, dark and I was counting pipe using a flashlight while it felt as if my stomach was gnawing it's way through to my spine.  The situation wasn't ideal to say the least, and I wasn't even trying to see the situation in any other way except how it was making me feel. 

I called my wife and began to explain why I wasn't home.  Okay, actually I was griping and complaining about how unfairly I was being treated.  She quickly helped me see my attitude about the situation wasn't the best and I needed to make a correction.  After ending the call, I began to talk to the Lord about my attitude, asking Him to help me get it right.  I then went on to do the job and actually even smiled and laughed a bit about it all.  I got home late, and had to be back at work the next day early, but my attitude was much better.  Thank God for a wife who speaks the truth in love.

Well a couple of days went by, and I was called into the office and handed an envelope.  I opened it, and looked inside and found three brand new one hundred dollar bills.  I was told thank you for staying late the other night.  To say I was blown away is an understatement.  I also realized (the next day) by working late the one night, I made up for the hours I had lost by leaving earlier the day before.  God was working on my behalf the whole time, even though I didn't see it at the time.  I will say, if my attitude had continued down the path it was going, my boss wouldn't have blessed me outside of the overtime hours.  After all who wants to bless someone who is griping and complaining?

What I've begin to figure out here is when situations arise which would cause me to begin to gripe and complain, instead of going with what feels right, I ask God what is really going on here?  I ask Him to give me eyes to see the situation as it really is, not as I feel it is. This is why I believe Joseph in the Bible was able to endure all those years in slavery.  He chose how he was going to look at each situation, even though it seemed to keep getting worse and worse.  Eventually he became the main man under Pharaoh in all the land.

Kind of makes me wonder what we may be missing out on from time to time.  How about you?  How are you seeing things?


Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!
 




 

No comments: