Friday, June 22, 2012

The Story of Your Life

The movie industry is a billion dollar business engaging in the telling of stories for the masses.  I was thinking about that this morning, and wondering exactly what it is about movies that draw people in so much and I came up with this reason.  People may watch movies because they feel that their lives are not as exciting as they wish they could be, and want to see a story that is exciting and not mundane.

Now before you think that I'm griping about life, or that I think there is something wrong with people, put that out of your mind, that is not my point here at all.  What I find interesting is that we are all created to do something on this planet.  But not all of us find that, or are even looking for it for that matter.  There are countless millions of people who are just existing on this planet, waiting for the end to come for whatever reason.  They never really live, and find escape for their lives wrapped up in the stories that others are telling.

While you may find your life boring, or not as exciting as the latest action movie, the story of your life is a very important one.  You might say, "Yeah, Dave, but I'm just a stocker at Wal Mart, how could that story possibly be a good one?"  How could it not?  I mean after all you, the lead actor in your story, were created by our Heavenly Father and put here on this planet at this point in time for a reason.  There is a reason you are here, and it is an important one.

I love what Samwise Gamgee tells Frodo in the Lord of the Rings trilogy:

"By right we shouldn't even be here, but we are. It's like the great stories, full of darkness and danger, they were. and sometimes you didn't want to know the end.  Because how could the end be happy?  How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened?  But in the end, it's just a passing thing, even the darkness must pass. and when the sun shines, may it shine the clearer.  Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why.  But I think I do understand.  People in those stories, always had the chance to turn back only they didn't,  because they were holding on to something."
"What are we holding on to, Sam?"
"That's theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. and its worth fighting for."
"Do you remember the shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. the orcherds will be in blossom, and the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket.  And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields. and having the first of the strawberries with cream.  Do you remember the taste of strawberries, Mr. Frodo?"
"no sam. i cant recall the taste of food. nor the sound of water. nor the touch of grass."
"I can see the shire. Hobbiton. Bag-end. Gandalf's fireworks. The large banner, and the party tree."
"Rosie Cotton dancing. She had ribbons in her hair. If ever I were to marry someone it would have been her. it would have been her."
"I'm glad you're here with me Samwise Gamgee. here at the end of all things."

I love this because at the heart of it, Sam is saying that their lives matter, no matter what, they do.  And your life matters, regardless of how mundane it may feel at times, it matters greatly.  If you were just to engage and begin to see your life as full of meaning, well I'd venture to say that you would begin to live a life that really was full of adventure and would rival that of anything which Hollywood can put on the silver screen.  

I guess what I really wanted to say is that you matter. Your story matters, and we need you to play your part!  Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: