Saturday, June 23, 2012

God and Pooper Scoopers

A very good friend of mine, Austin Maschino shared an observation which he had written about.  I thought it was so good I asked if he would mind if I posted it to my blog for all to see and he agreed.  Thanks Austin.


Tonight when I came home, I noticed one of my neighbors taking her dog out and she was carrying a pooperscooper.  It struck me as funny just because the phrase “pooper scooper” makes me laugh.  Then, as my mind tends to do, I wondered what that dog was thinking.  In the mind of that dog, his master is like a god.  She provides shelter, food, water, probably toys, and attention—all the things he perceives as love.  The dog knows she is a superior creature and the source of the comforts he enjoys.  Then he goes outside and, seemingly embarrassed,“does his business” without looking his master in the eye.  (Ever noticed that about a dog?)  But as soon as he is done, he looks up as if to say “I’m done.  What’s next?” She immediately scoops it up and throws it in the trash.  If he could reason, he must be thinking “Why does she do that?”

At this point, my internal musings ceased for a minute.  Then it hit me.

Is this not kind of like what it is with us and God?  We thank Him for providing us shelter, clothing, food, and all of the blessings He gives us.  We know He is superior and the source of all that is good.  Then we go out and make a mess.  But if we look up and say “I’m done. What’s next?”,He scoops it up and throws it in the trash.  Unlike a dog, we can reason and ask “Why does He do that?”  The answer is simple.  He does it because He loves us.

No comments: