Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Daddy's Proud Heart


My daughter with two of her friends after The Color Run, a 5K race.
One of the things which literally thrill a father's heart, is when his kids do something on their own, without any coaxing from him.  And if what they choose to do is physically challenging when their father never does anything like that, it makes that even that much cooler I think.

I experienced this yesterday as my daughter April (#7575 on the right) participated in her first 5K run . In case you were unaware as I was, a 10K run is 6.2 miles long, so that means according to the math that a 5K is 3.1 miles long.  (Thanks for helping me with the math yesterday sis, it was  SO hot and my brain was melting I think!)

April, along with her friend Mallory and another April joined together to participate in "The Color Run", a fun way to be healthy, be happy and be you.  Watch the video to see what these girls actually were a part of.


What makes me the proudest about my baby girl is that many months ago April started attending a work out boot camp.  Truthfully I thought it was a fad and that it wouldn't last more than a few weeks, and I told her as much each time she talked about paying to go to boot camp.  I don't know if it was to prove me wrong or that she was really enjoying the punishment, but she surprised both her mother and me as she continued month after month working out and getting physically fit.

She would even make an effort to go work out before she had to go into work, and on the rare occasion when that wasn't possible, she would come home after work, put on her running shoes and run around our circle driveway in the dark, always telling us to "not" watch her.  I saw a screen capture between her and Mallory on the night that she ran 1 mile without stopping.

Seeing her develop in the discipline of getting fit is wonderful, because it proves to me that she's figured it out.  She's figured out that she can do anything that she believes she can.  And that is a great place to be, because Scripture says that "All things are possible to him/her who believes."  (Mark 9:23)

My little girl is growing up, and even though that saddens me at times, I am one very proud dad.  She really is becoming a very amazing young lady, and I know God has great things in store for her.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to brag on her just a little bit today.  Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: