Wednesday, December 28, 2011

God Is Watching

Exodus 3:2-4: There the angel of the Lord appeared to Moses in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight - why the bush does not burn up." When the Lord saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!" And Moses said, "Here I am."

As I was doing my morning Bible reading I came across this passage and the Holy Spirit highlighted this in my heart. "When the Lord saw..." That says to me that God is watching to see what we do. I have learned that God is always speaking to us; sometimes through a physical manifestation, our hearts or through the Bible, whatever the case He is always speaking. The question is, are we taking the time to stop and listen?

I have heard that in the Middle East it is not an unusual thing to see a bush catch fire, so Moses had probably seen this before. In the movie Kingdom of Heaven there is a scene with Balian where he throws a rock at a bush and it ignites into flames.
This is probably what Moses was used to, the thing that made him stop was the fact that the bush did not burn up. So he turned from what he was doing to check it out.

This is what God is looking for from us, stopping from our daily duties long enough to hear Him speak to us. What would have happened if Moses had been too busy thinking about his day to stop and see why the bush wasn't burned up? How many times do we miss what God wants to say to us each day because we are too busy or in too much of a hurry to stop and listen? I know that I have ended up in this position too many times. It is something that I am working to change in my life.

Taking time out of our schedules to listen for God to speak each day really would do wonders for us. I mean let's take this "church thing" and make it into a lifestyle rather than just a Sunday/Wednesday activity. If I have learned anything in my 48 years, it is that God wants a relationship with me, not a puppet, and that makes me very happy because I don't really want to be a puppet.

So today, look for your burning bush and when you turn aside to see it, you'll find God there waiting on you. Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: