Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Doing What Makes Me Come Alive

If there is one thing that I've learned in the last few years, it is that to truly be happy and content with oneself you have to do what makes you come alive inside. For me, that is helping people to find out some truth that maybe they haven't seen before. And the avenue that I get to do that is through writing.

Writing has always been something that I love to do. To take a thought and craft it in such a way that people can read it and understand a little bit more about you is truly fun for me. I can remember once back in the second grade when my teacher Mrs. Smart asked us to write a short story around if we could be anything, what would that be. I wrote that if I could be anything, I'd be a G.I. Joe.

Now the G.I. Joe I was talking about wasn't the military man version, but the twelve-inch action figures that I used to play with. I had what to a small boy seemed like a bazillion of them, and I could entertain myself in my bedroom for hours setting up daring rescue mission or attacks on the evil enemy soldiers. So it was a no-brainer for me to write that I would want to be a G.I. Joe.

As I recall, I wrote that I would like to be a G.I. Joe because I could be drug around through the mud, made to fight bad guys and cause the little boy that owned me so much fun in his life. That was written 40 some years ago, but I still remember it with fondness, and it shows a little bit of my heart as it was way back then. Something that I am recapturing with each and every blog I write.

Because that is what makes me come alive. And as Howard Thurman said, "Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." That truly is what we need more of in this world, people who have come alive!



No comments: