Friday, March 4, 2011

You Look Like A Knight, But Will You Bleed Like One?


I was reading a chapter from the book Wild at Heart written by John Eldredge, and a sentence jumped out at me. Let me quote from page 184; "I wanted to look like the knight, but I didn't want to bleed like one."

Man it was as if I was watching a 3D movie and those words jumped right off the page towards me. How often have I wanted to play the knight in shining armor for my bride? It is a core part of who I am. I am a knight of God's Kingdom, but do I in fact want to be bloodied like a knight?

I have never served in the military, even though I am so grateful to the men and women who serve our country and provide for me the freedoms that I have. There is a part of me that has often wondered if it came right down to it, would I be brave in the face of combat, or would I tuck tail and run? I want to believe that I would be valiant and stand my ground like a William Wallace, or a Maximus, calling men to rise to the occassion and vanquish the enemy. But would I really?

In thinking about being the knight in shining armor for my bride, do I want to just look the part or do I really want to play the part? I think a lot of men are willing to look the part, but only to reap the rewards of being a knight. But when it comes right to it they are unwilling to put their own desires and passions aside and get bloodied in the process. Because I will tell you, putting your own flesh down in service to your bride can be as difficult as facing down one hundred Orcs.

The Lord tells husbands how to serve their wives in Ephesians 5:25, and it would do us well to pay heed to these words. While we may not actually charge the fields with a sword in hand facing down our enemies, we will battle our own passions in just as bloody a conflict. If you don't think so, then try this; put all of your desires aside for one full week, only giving of yourself to your bride. See if you don't find a battle within unlike any you have ever faced. You will be amazed at what the enemy will unleash in your soul, and I would say that you will walk away from that week bloodied, but a better man.

So the question is, do you want to just look like a knight, or are you willing to bleed like one too? Get 'em up men, let's go whip something for the Kingdom!

No comments: