Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's The Weirdest Things

Tonight, I was in Tulsa at the Renaissance Hotel (got a nice pen from there) to look at the "Holiday 2011 Nike tennis shoes". As always it's a nice get a way for the evening. Jeff, my Nike rep always brings us Pei Wei for dinner (Chinese food) and we get to see all the fun new stuff for the upcoming season.

As we were looking at the men's shoes, Jeff put out a pair of Nike Free running shoes on the table, and I was amazed. My heart flashed to an image of my youngest son Noah, and I thought of how much he would have loved this pair of shoes.

I was toast after I saw that shoe, from there on out I kept going back to that one shoe and the feelings of loss and remorse began to grow and grow. Finally, I could take no more and had to pack up my stuff, apologize for leaving early and headed off to get in my car and head home. The fact that the weather was cold and a slight drizzle was falling did nothing to help my mood.

As I drove down Highway 169, I put on some praise and worship music to try and remedy the feeling of melancholy that was trying to attach itself to me. As I sang along, I pictured Jesus receiving my praise, but immediately flashed to getting to see Noah and us hugging each other. Tears welled up in my eyes, and I pulled over onto the shoulder of the highway so that I could compose myself and text my band of brothers.

Explaining myself quickly in a short text message to the guys, I asked for their prayers then pulled back onto the road heading home. I'd love to tell you that all ended well, and I went my merry way praising and worshiping the Lord. But the truth is, I'm still sad, not like I was earlier, due in part to the prayers of my friends, but I am bothered by this. It's just the weirdest thing, that a pair of shoes could bother me so. Well, get 'em up folks, let's go out and whip something for the Kingdom!

No comments: