Monday, April 18, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 22 - What Course Are You Setting?

We currently live in a society where people for the most part are wandering around aimlessly, eking out a living and exist to just make it through another day rather than living full lives.  I know this has been my lot for many years now.  Each day one of routine; get up, drink coffee have breakfast, fix my lunch, shower and get to work on time.  You know, rinse, lather, repeat.
We’ve all been there I’m sure, doing those mundane things day after day wondering if there really could be more to this life than what we see.  There is an old adage which goes, “Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees.”  This statement means you are too close to it to actually see it.
I read a post this morning which said:
“This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time.”
~ Chuck Palahniuk Fight Club
Well this got me to thinking, if our life is ending one minute at a time, perhaps we should do more with the minutes we are given.  This isn’t a new thought, it’s one I’ve had quite a bit; usually while I’m griping and complaining about my place in this world.  The thing is I control my own destiny; me and no one else. 
I’m at the helm of the ship of my life, and I steer it in the direction I want it to go.  And just like a real ship on the ocean, if I release the control of the ship’s wheel, the boat will wander aimlessly on the water.  Which isn’t a big day on calm seas, but if there is any wind at all, who knows where the craft will end up.
This is how it is for so many of us today; we’ve relinquished the control of our lives, letting go of the wheel and have been floating around with no real direction.  And when the storms of adversity blow, we end up in some places we never wanted to be.
It’s time we grab the wheel of our lives and begin charting the course to where we want to go instead of letting fate decide.  Do you want financial security?  Then start by charting a course to those waters.  Maybe you want to go on a family vacation to Disney or Hawaii.  Just dreaming about it isn’t going to get you there; you are going to have to do some things to make it a reality.
First things first, you have to get this before anything else. 
·       You have what it takes to do whatever it is you want to do in this life, if you will just believe it.
Regardless of past failures, or even future ones, understand you have what it takes.  And you must believe it before it happens; everything you want in life you must see on the inside of you long before it ever manifests into reality.  If you can believe it, you can achieve it.
Begin by dreaming, but then take hold of your life and start steering it in the direction you want it to go.  I won’t happen overnight, but you will begin to see changes; small ones at first, but then like a snowball rolling downhill they will begin to grow and take shape and before you know it, you’re on the course you want, and your life will then be an inspiration to others instead of one of the many ships floating around aimlessly on the ocean of life.



No comments: