Sunday, April 3, 2016

31 Day Writing Challenge Day 20 - Do You Miss the Magical For The Mundane?

As I was busy washing dishes this morning, (yes ladies, I do the dishes from time to time) the thought crossed my mind about how many times in my life I have actually put my hands into the soapy water to scrub the remnants of the meals my family and I have had from our dishes and silverware.  While I didn't actually do the math, (which would require much more thought than I was willing to give) I know it is a bunch; probably way more than I'd actually like to count or even really know to be honest with you.
As I continued to swish the plates and bowls around in the water, I realized what I was doing is really a very mundane task. Not unneeded mind you; cleaning your plates help to keep you from getting sick or eating spoiled and rotten food.  But it really isn't very glamorous; because if it was then Cinderella's ugly stepsisters would have helped out around the house and we'd have a very different story to tell.  Mundane tasks are typically not really fun.  I mean, you agree, right?
Years ago I was reading a book which stated we live in a fairytale world; full of mystery, magic and fantastic creatures.  Now I know what you are thinking, but before discount what I’m saying, do you know what tomorrow holds exactly? Not really.  You have to enter the day to find out the mysteries it holds for you.  In this time we live in, you are able to talk to a loved one who is halfway around the world, not to mention talk face to face in real time with them by using a small device you carry in your back pocket; sounds pretty magical to me.  And have you ever watched a field mouse?  I mean really watched one up close, they are pretty fantastical little creatures.
I wonder how many of us miss out on these magical moments in our lives because we are too focused on the mundane things of life.  On our ride to church this morning, I asked my bride what kinds of things she would like to do in the evenings after getting off of work, and she said, "I honestly don't know.”  And to be quite honest with you, I think this is where many of us are in our own lives.  So busy, if we had a free minute we wouldn’t really know what to do with it.
The reason I believe is we get so caught up doing what we need to do to keep our lives moving forward, we inadvertently miss out on the truly magical moments which are all around us and happen each and every day.  For instance, have you ever heard a baby belly laugh?  You’re a liar if you say it didn’t bring a smile to your face.  I say this is a magical thing, an elixir if you will for those who need to let go of the little things irritating them and have a moment of pure bliss.
I know it’s not popular to talk about “magic” in Christian circles, and there are those I’m sure who think I am speaking heresy when describing a baby’s laugh like it’s some type of magic potion, but then do we really need more people with frowns on their faces?  I think maybe what we need is a little bit more fantasy and less of the mundane things in life.  
After all, if you ignored the dirty dishes for one night and instead spent that time with your family making some memories (not watching television or looking at your phones) wouldn’t this do your heart more good than checking something off of your to-do list before going to bed?  I think so.  Look around you, there are magical moments happening all around you every day.  All you have to do is lift your eyes up from those mundane tasks for just a minute and see them for yourself.

Dave’s new book “Show Me the Money!” is coming out on April 19, 2016.  If you’d like to learn more about it, click here.

No comments: