Monday, January 18, 2016

I Pee Peed In The Potty

Last week at the conclusion of our Sunday service at church, I was standing around like we do, talking with friends when one of my favorite kids came up to give me a hug.  I then heard her tell her parents her little brother pee peed in the potty all by himself in his class.

After hearing this news, I leaned down to this little three year old and asked him if he had indeed pee peed in the potty all by himself.  His smile was from ear to ear as he loudly exclaimed, "Yes!  I pee peed in the potty all by myself!"  Of course others heard him state this, and it became a big celebration for him, and he excitedly told anyone and everyone he saw of his grand accomplishment.

Time passed, and I gathered my things to leave for lunch, when I saw this little tyke running up to total strangers and with the enthusiasm only a child can bring, sharing his big news.  I had to smile as I watched the reactions on both his face and those of the total strangers.  Then it dawned on me, I had seen this reaction before.

I had to chuckle, because this enthusiasm of a three year old who had just pee peed in the potty was the same enthusiasm I had seen in men I've been around when they did something they felt deserved recognition too.  I believe this is something hardwired into the male species; the need for recognition of a job well done.  We, as men have this need to be recognized for what we do.  

Unfortunately men tend to draw their value as a person from what they do, and if they don't get the recognition they feel they deserve, then they can spend their entire lives trying to find it in other places.  Trying to prove to themselves and others they are worth something.  Looking for this self-worth in the wrong place.

All of my worth comes from Jesus, and what He has done for me.  It's who I am in Christ which is the most important thing, not just the accomplishments and achievements I've managed.  Really, you can line up all of my accomplishments and achievements, and they would be worthless next to the reality of who I am in Christ.  I'm not saying we shouldn't take pride in our work, or the things we do.  What I'm saying is they shouldn't be our primary focus.

Finding out who you are, what you have and what you can do in Christ should be our priority.  Because once we figure all of this out, then we'll truly be fulfilled, and will have something we can tell everyone about!

For the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: