Saturday, December 29, 2012

So Who Controls The Criminals?

Gun control.  It's a hot topic in the news again, as it is every time a horrible tragedy occurs in our nation.  What is gun control exactly, and why are our politicians so keen on putting it into place I wonder?  Could it be realistically that in order to control a population you must first take away their ability to defend themselves?  Is it possible that what lies behind this is truly just one more freedom being eroded away from the population by the river of good intentions? 

I will go on record here saying that people who steal from others are on the bottom rung of the ladder of society, and should be treated with contempt.  Now I will add, that if they choose to change their lifestyle and find gainful employment, becoming good citizens I will welcome them with open arms.  Until then if they choose to take from others instead of earning an honest living however, I will consider them scum, bottom line.

I don't know about you, but I work hard for my money.  I work at least five days a week for my employer; arriving at work before seven in the morning and leaving shortly after six in the evening.  I spend almost half of my day working to earn money.  Now if someone comes and takes what I have worked so hard for, I will have no compassion for them if they get what they deserve.  Take this short little story I read this morning:

Last Thursday night around midnight, a woman from Houston, Texas was arrested, jailed and charged with manslaughter for shooting a man 6 times in the back as he was running away with her purse.

The following Monday morning, the woman was called in front of the Arraignment Judge, sworn-in, and asked to explain her actions.

The woman replied, "I was standing at the corner bus stop for about 15 minutes, waiting for the bus to take me home after work.  I am a waitress at a local cafe.  I was there alone, so I had my right hand on my pistol in my purse hanging on my left shoulder.  All of sudden I was spun around hard to my left.  As I caught my balance, I saw a man running away with my purse.  I looked down at my right hand and saw that my fingers were wrapped tightly around my pistol.  The next thing I remember is saying out loud, "No Way Punk!  You're not stealing my pay check and tips!"  I raised my right hand, pointed my pistol at the man running away from me with my purse, and started squeezing the trigger of my pistol.

When asked by the arraignment judge, "Why did you shoot the man 6 times?"  The woman replied under oath, "Because, when I pulled the trigger the 7th time, it only went click."

The woman was acquitted of all charges.  She was back at work the next day.

I don't know if this is a true story or not, but it does help illustrate what I'm trying to get at this morning, and that is we should have the right to protect ourselves and what we work for from the element in society that chooses to take instead of giving something back.  I realize that there are several people who will disagree with my position and who would probably say that the man in that story needed that money to go feed his children or buy medicine for a sick wife.  Making the victim of a crime the bad guy, wanting desperately to be compassionate to the criminal, saying it's not their fault, they act that way because of how they were raised.

Bull hockey!  People are the captains of their own destiny.  No matter how you were raised, or what happened to you in your past, we all have the same ability to make a decision, for good or for bad.  And when you decide that you are going to take from someone, then you will have to face the consequences of your actions.  You can't blame your choice on someone else, that is part of the problem in society.

I had a discussion with a young man who had decided that he was a pacifistic several years ago and vehemently defended his choice to not own a gun, or to be violent in any way.  I asked him what he would do, if a violent man took his girlfriend and began to rape her in his presence?  His answer was that he would reason with the rapist, and explain to him why his actions were wrong.  I was shocked to say the least.  I asked, "You mean to tell me that you would stand there and try to reason with someone who was defiling your girlfriend, instead of pulling him off of her and knocking some sense into his head?"  To which he said yes.

Now while I guess I should applaud him for sticking to his guns (no pun intended) and remaining a pacifist in light of that horrendous crime.  I can't help but believe that if that were to actually happen, he would become just as big a neanderthal as he probably feels I am for thinking that the brute should be beaten within an inch of his life.

And if we are to see gun control in our lifetime here in America, do you think the criminal element of society will adhere to it?  Will they willingly give up the guns that they carry, most of which have been stolen or purchased illegally?  What gun control will truly do in my opinion is to make it easier for criminals to take what isn't theirs because becoming unarmed and unable to defend what is ours will make us easier targets for crime.  So I say, lock and load, and criminals beware!

Strength and honor for the Kingdom and the King!

No comments: